Sign in to follow this  
pe7e

Pronunciation

On virtually every YouTube video I've seen relating to Pattaya the pronunciation used is 'pa-ta-ya' yet a Thai girl I spent a considerable time with insisted it was pa-ta-yarr, which one is correct ?

You seem to agree with my former young lady and myself, I think your transliteration is more accurate than mine, it will be interesting to see what others think, and if 'pa Thai yah' irritates others as much as it does me.

"pa Thai ya" is the preferred pronunciation of the BBC presenters and other wankers who pass as journalists these days.

Just as the backpackers go to Kho Saen Road and Kho Samui.

Pronunciation depends on how the language is spelt, and in what language.

In English, Pattaya would typically be broken into three syllables, Pat-ta-ya. Depending on where you come from, accents can be on the first or second syllable..

In Thai language, however,it is spelt as พัทยา where there are only two syllables and the 'a' between the two is a very quick one, almost part of the first..

พัท - pat, ยา - ya. Join them and you get the Pat-a ya.

Hope that helps

Yes. And s-a-nake, and so on. They will try to spell a word in their own language and get tripped up with the English pronunciation.

Note that many English speakers have a problem with 'ง' -ng sound. If that wasn't so bad, Bahasa also have a 'ny' sound..

Pate ya (2 syllables) though hear many pronounce it pataya (1 syllable)