Death Island

Coss

Until they reform the criminal defamation law, likely never as it suits vested interests, that could not happen in Thailand if what I stated above is true.

If I saiy you are a bad egg, it matters not that you are or are not either literally or figuratively a bad egg, only that I said it and that my saying so caused you some social, pecuniary or other loss.

It's clearly a law written to prevent the speaking of truth where that truth might cause upset to another. No first amendment here.

• 4 years later...
On 6/15/2017 at 1:39 PM, Coss said:

.....Koh Tao has gained a bad reputation for unexplained deaths in recent years. Luke's death came only months after the grisly murders of British backpackers Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24 British Christina Annesley, 23, was also found dead on the island in 2015, another Brit, Nick Pearson died in mysterious circumstances in 2014, neither Christina's family or that of Nick were satisfied with the police investigation.

Questions were asked over the death of Dimitri Povse on 2015, when he was found hanged with his hands tied behind his back. This year Russian Valentina Novozhyonova went missing, never to be seen again. The seemingly endless and often unexplained deaths have led to the island being dubbed "Death Island".

Nicola and James Gissing, who were holidaying with Luke when he died made exhaustive efforts to get information from the Thai police. Mr Gissing and other friends of Mr Miller are convinced he was murdered. Luke's family have been supported by the Island-based Lucie Blackman Trust in their quest for information.

http://www.samuitimes.com/luke-millers-family-vow-get-justice-found-dead-koh-tao/

There's a docco now:

"There has been no justice for the family of a Wellington-born woman who was one of several young tourists to die on a Thai island, her father says, and the 23-year-old’s death is now featured in a three-part documentary.

In January 2015, Christina Annesley was found dead in her beach hut on the remote island of Koh Tao, where she had travelled from Britain two weeks earlier.

Her death was one of a numerous suspicious or mysterious deaths of tourists on the island – including six young Brits between 2012 and 2016 – leading it to be dubbed "Death Island"..."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/128056301/family-still-seeking-justice-feature-in-new-documentary-on-death-of-kiwiborn-woman-on-thailands-death-island

• 1 year later...

Thai cop spills beans on bid to hush British backpacker’s drugs dealing bust

An unnamed Thai police officer revealed that his superiors attempted to suppress a story about the arrest of a British backpacker for selling Category 1 drugs on a notorious island in Thailand.

Andrew Brett was arrested on Thursday, February 29, for allegedly selling ecstasy and LSD to other foreign tourists at the Ecco Bar on Koh Tao island in the southern province of Surat Thani. The Thai officer, who wished to remain anonymous, informed a reporter that the police had been monitoring the drug dealer for several months before they swooped to nab him.

The Thai cop made known they wanted to conceal the crime because the drug dealing took place on the notorious Koh Tao island, widely known as Death Island.

Full Story

I must say Mr Brett looks like an extra for Deliverance.

He was obviously the stooge / fall guy for the Koh Tao mafia, he had been on the island / under observation for five months according to the article. Where was he getting his supplies from? How did he stay so long on no doubt a tourist visa, they don’t issue Business Visas for drug dealing.

My comment about “Extra from Deliverance” was implying he looked like the elevator doesn’t go to the top floor / a tinnie short of a six pack. A simple gullible bloke who was being paid beer money to extend his stay. There is no way a foreigner would be able to deal drugs on Koh Tao for 5 months without the mafia knowing, I doubt even a Thai would get away with such.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Mekong said:

There is no way a foreigner would be able to deal drugs on Koh Tao for 5 months without the mafia knowing, I doubt even a Thai would get away with such.

Agree. Perhaps he got greedy and was foolish enough to think he could get away without paying his arranged cut. His probably lucky there were no unsolved murders at the time.

What do they call it...."The Septic Isle" :dunno:

2 hours ago, bust said:

Agree. Perhaps he got greedy and was foolish enough to think he could get away without paying his arranged cut. His probably lucky there were no unsolved murders at the time.

What do they call it...."The Septic Isle" :dunno:

I don’t think he would be that stupid. As I said previously he was the stooge / fall guy. Any drugs dealing hand will sacrifice the lower players in order to remain at liberty and continue in business. 
The heat was on, Police knew what was happening and wanted a name so they gave him the farang with enough drugs on him to make it look like a major bust for the police but not make a dent in the cartels business.

Many international Smugglers are grassed up by the people they are carrying for. Load a fall guy up with say 1kg of Coke inform the airport they have a bust, meanwhile whilst customs are happy the real mule is strolling right through with 10kg of Coke

• Like 2