Time Theft From Phones?

Flashermac

A buddy called me to warn that he'd taken his phone into a True shop in a mall, and the phone guy told him that his system has been stealing time from him every month. He said the records are only saved for one month, but that last month he'd "lost" more than 360 baht. Over the course of a year, that quickly adds up.

He switched to DTAC to stop this, but apparently it's common on all companies. Has anyone any idea what he's talking about? He said something about the "data applications" being vulnerable.

I already have enough trouble with computers without worrying about my phone trying to get me. :surprised:

Maybe applications using data to update automatically in the background.

Location services that send and receive data when as you move around.

That could be it. His Mrs gave him her old phone, and she used it on the internet. He doesn't. He just uses his phone ... as a phone.

If only traditional phone and SMS service is required then best practice would be to do a full factory reset so as to get a raw phone with minimum extras installed then turn off data service completely. This makes any smart phone pretty stupid but should just about maximize battery and minimise "unknown" charges.

Turn off wifi and Bluetooth also

My old Nokia used to be great - maps worked off-line.Unfortunately it finally packed up after 6 yrs and the new Samsung seems to be pre-loaded with games and all kinds of sh*t that means it often downloads data if connected.It even needs a connection for maps to work :down: ...all fine if you have wifi at home which I don`t.

• Like 1