Has This Received Any Air Play In Thailand?

dean

- The Washington Times - Friday, July 14, 2017

A Canadian man suspected of operating an online marketplace where customers used digital cryptocurrency to buy and sell drugs and other contraband was found hanged to death in a Thai jail cell this week awaiting extradition to the United States, officials said.

Alexandre Cazes was found dead Wednesday morning inside a Bangkok jail where he was being held in relation to a U.S. narcotics case, The Bangkok Post first reported.

Cazes was recently detained in connection with an international probe involving AlphaBay, an underground website where vendors sold illegal goods ranging from hardcore drugs to stolen credit card numbers, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday, citing individuals familiar with the matter.

He was taken into custody July 5 “with a view toward extradition to face federal criminal charges in the United States,†but died before allegations were ever made public, a spokeswoman with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok told the newspaper.

A representatives for Canada’s foreign affairs department confirmed Cazes “passed away in Thailand†but declined to comment further, according to the report.

Cazes likely hanged himself, Thai police told the Bangkok Post.

I was listening to NPR today and Jeff Sessions was detailing the Justice Department's role in shutting down AlphaBey. I hadn't heard anything about the founder of AlphaBey being found hanged in a Thai jail here, so I was wondering if it was being cover in the Thai press?