Crackdown On 'beg-Packers'

Steve

This is the hard part, isn't it? Just when do you stop...calculating the time / money equation. You don't want to fall short financially, but then you don't want to retire as a frail old man with no energy or drive to do anything. It's the hardest calculation of all to get the balance right on.

If you, dear sir, consider working as a burdon then a retirement comes as a blessing. If you, like the BuBi, enjoy your job because you can do what you want whereever, retirement comes as a threat. The important part of it is to get up in the morning and look forward to enjoy another day. I plan to finally give up my company maybe with 74 and then spend all which is there in a big bravado of calculated 10 years to come.

This is the hard part, isn't it? Just when do you stop...calculating the time / money equation. You don't want to fall short financially, but then you don't want to retire as a frail old man with no energy or drive to do anything. It's the hardest calculation of all to get the balance right on.

Sometimes, only sometimes, I wish I knew how long I had left, not saying to the day / week / month per se but +/- a couple of years would be nice to know to give me a chance.

The worse case scenario would to be the "Old Frail Man"with life to live at the end of the money, but conversely I would hate to leave this mortal coil without enjoying "most"of it". Don't get me wrong, our lass is well looked after with life assurance, she won't go short .... often thought about faking my own death sometime in the future, after all I have been resurrected once since my ex had me down as dead (fake death certificate everything) and tried to claim on me 7 years past, just part of the Shenanigans of the past. "NO IT IS ME, I AM FUCKING WELL AND TRUELY ALIVE" can't make it up.

So I suppose I should be an industrial whore and take the money ... Bua !

Sometimes, only sometimes, I wish I knew how long I had left, not saying to the day / week / month per se but +/- a couple of years would be nice to know to give me a chance.

You did very well to buy property in Bangkok when you did. I imagine your unit has increased in value about 3 times since you purchased it. And you're in a highly desirable area. The great thing is that if you own a property in Thailand you can live on very little if you want to / need to. All the necessities are relatively cheap in Thailand. That's one big difference between Thailand and the West.

You did very well to buy property in Bangkok when you did. I imagine your unit has increased in value about 3 times since you purchased it. And you're in a highly desirable area. The great thing is that if you own a property in Thailand you can live on very little if you want to / need to. All the necessities are relatively cheap in Thailand. That's one big difference between Thailand and the West.

I compounded my problem by having 2 kids :p Well hardly a problem and I wouldn't have it any other way but there's no denying the cost of doing that half right in Thailand is not cheap. Property bought and paid for, cars bought and paid for (though I will buy another if the funds come along, hardly needed) so other than the schooling we are getting quite close to the bare minimum needed. I'm, sort of, doing the sums and thinking about what to allow for inflation over the next 25 years or so. If I make it beyond that then money will not be much of an issue, I think I'll be more concerned about being able to suck hard enough on the straw :D

Right now I think 30-40k a month is not unreasonable or particularly painful.

• Like 1

I compounded my problem by having 2 kids :p Well hardly a problem and I wouldn't have it any other way but there's no denying the cost of doing that half right in Thailand is not cheap. Property bought and paid for, cars bought and paid for (though I will buy another if the funds come along, hardly needed) so other than the schooling we are getting quite close to the bare minimum needed. I'm, sort of, doing the sums and thinking about what to allow for inflation over the next 25 years or so. If I make it beyond that then money will not be much of an issue, I think I'll be more concerned about being able to suck hard enough on the straw :D

Right now I think 30-40k a month is not unreasonable or particularly painful.

I retired from a multi-national organization almost 20 yrs ago. My inflation-indexed pension has been more than enough for me. :cool:

" you can live on very little " don`t forget health insurance - can be quite expensive as ones age increases and those crafty ins. cos, jack up the premiums :grinyes:

I wonder what percentage of expats in Thailand have health insurance? I certainly didn't have it and most of my friends don't. I'm not saying that that is the way to go, more that I am generally curious as to what percentage have a health insurance policy.

I wonder what percentage of expats in Thailand have health insurance? I certainly didn't have it and most of my friends don't. I'm not saying that that is the way to go, more that I am generally curious as to what percentage have a health insurance policy.

Just a cautionary note, as you are all no doubt aware, I am in NZ for the medium term.

I have no Health Insurance - health care is free here.

So on Tuesday I thought I'd test this hypothesis and I had a Stroke.

Ambulance - than at hospital, a probe up my Femoral Artery and they removed the clot from my brain.

I am pleased to say, that I have full function restored, so I am good as new, but there's a spot in my brain that will forever be dead to me. I am 57

Doctors are all very pleased, as am I.

If I'd been in Laos or Thailand, I reckon I'd be very much worse off.

So next time I'm going to Laos or LOS I've resolved to get a health insurance policy., As the last thing I want, is to suffer an event whilst playing with a lady.

• Like 1