No More Stickman?

Guy Himmaparn

Thanks for the nice words - it's always nice to hear from people who have tuned in and enjoyed my weekly ramblings.

Yep, everything I wrote this week is true. This coming week's column will be the last unless something miraculous happens - and, sadly, I really don't see that happening. It's a shame that it looks like it will end this way but such is life. 16 years is a long time to have been writing the column and I really should make the effort to start something new here in NZ.

Ah . . . . . . . .Times - they are a changing . . . .

Thank you Stickman.

For decades I would refer folks to the Stickman web site for a good read. Those that would listen to my Thailand travel adventure tales. Those that would dream of a trip to Bangkok, Thailand and beyond.

An institution that over time will turn into a fond memories.

Thank you Stickman for the adventure we all call Thailand.

• Like 1

Ah . . . . . . . .Times - they are a changing . . . .

Thank you Stickman.

For decades I would refer folks to the Stickman web site for a good read. Those that would listen to my Thailand travel adventure tales. Those that would dream of a trip to Bangkok, Thailand and beyond.

An institution that over time will turn into a fond memories.

Thank you Stickman for the adventure we all call Thailand.

Mr Unit, Sir

I do share your feelings. Normally far away from the big city the Stickman Weekly has always been sort of a medium to stay in contact. Sadness befalls me realising it shall be gone by next Sunday. Couldn´t it be replaced by a Stickman Monthly ?

Thanks anyway for plenty of information and entertainment.

I do share your feelings. Normally far away from the big city the Stickman Weekly has always been sort of a medium to stay in contact. Sadness befalls me realising it shall be gone by next Sunday. Couldn´t it be replaced by a Stickman Monthly ?

A Stickman monthly is feasible but it would be more time-consuming to put together than say just one weekly. Living in New Zealand but writing about Thailand, I have to be in regular contact with people in Thailand to hear about what's going on. Then I have to verify everything....all of that is time-consuming. I ask a lot of favours of a lot of people and have to give them a lot of my time in return. From a practical perspective, it's doable, but I just don't think it would be worth my while.

There are two main reasons to stop. First, I have, until now, been paid to produce the column. The majority owner of the site indicated he would struggle to pay me going forward. The time commitment is just too great to do it for nothing. Second, I feel like I have been living with one foot in New Zealand and one in Thailand and I am not sure that is a good thing. I think it's better to commit to one or the other.

It's been a good run but I think now is a good time to sign out. Hope that explains it!

Have to admit was a sporadic reader of Stick but the times I did found it both informative and on the mark with it's content.

Enjoy Middle Earth.....hoping to pop over at Christmas this year.