What's Going On With Korean Airlines?

Flashermac

I'm not ready to abandon China Eastern yet but finally came face to face with their "wonderful " customer service. For $442.00, I got a ticket for LAX-Shanghai-Kunming-CNX and return on 10 May BKK-Shanghai-LAX (I used Southwest points to fly K.C. To LAX). I have no real complaints with the flying part of it. There were no delays. However, as Kunming is overnight, bags are to be picked up there and next morning rechecked at checking counter with boarding pass. I have 2 bags and a carry on. One bag doesn't show up. It takes an hour of waiting and then an hour to find lost bag area. 45 minutes later, I have the paperwork finished, which includes email address and phone number for them to contact me if bag is found. No offer of $50 for emergency purchases and delivering bad to house, as Northwest Airline did for me in Bangkok, many moons ago.

I talk with lost luggage at CNX on arrival and they said bag was found and would be at CNX on next day's flight. I tell him that I will pick it up in 2 days. Two days later, I show up and talk with same man. Bag is in Kunming and has been sitting there for 2 days and why didn't I call him before wasting a trip. Even though he has a computer that has access to China Eastern's data, he tells me to call or email Kunming to arrange bag to be shipped to CNX. I go on China Eastern's website and Kunming has no email address but China Eastern at LAX does, so I email them, tell them to take care of this ASAP and contact me to let me know that bag is on the way to CNX. There office is open for 4 hours on Saturday, so I know that they have probably seen the email but no reply. I email them again, stating more emphatically that I need something done ASAP. I assume that if the bag never shows up, I have the right to make a claim up to a certain amount, or sue them. Most of what's in the bag are gifts for friends here or clothes that I was going leave in storage at my Chiangmai house. Today, I'll go buy a couple of pairs of shorts because I have worn the dockers now for a week (all pants in other suitcase). Maybe, I'll save those pants, and a dirty shirt, and not shower for 2 days before my return flight. That should offend any Chinese passengers sitting in close proximity to me, particularly on the 13 hour leg from Shanghai to LAX.

I've definitely moved to the "never fly China Eastern again" group. I finally received a reply to one of my emails sent over the last week.

"Dear Passenger,

Upon our investigation on your missing baggage, it did not pass the baggage transfer security check at KMG airport. Please contact the baggage department in KMG airport at 0086-871-67081286 with case number DAH KMGMUxxxxxx

for option to retrieve your baggage.

BEST REGARDS

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING CHINA EASTERN AIRLINES".

Now, I was taking a set of 3 stainless steel trash cans in that bag. I was also carrying 2 DeWalt 18 v cordless batteries. Everything else was clothes and 2 presents for people in Chiangmai. I had no problem checking and retrieving bag at LAX and then checking bag for Kunming at LAX. After calling Kunming and giving then requested information they confirmed bag was there and I should call baggage claim in Chiangmai to have them request bag to be sent to Chiangmai.i started calling Chiangmai airport every day starting yesterday. Assuming that they can get my bag here, it will be interesting to see what is missing from bag. Even if I get the bag, under law, I'm due compensation if they can't get me the bag within a week. However, I'll make this request not in Shanghai but on U.S.A. Territory.

My guess is the batteries is what caused the problem. There are capacity limits both for carry on and checked baggage and they are different though a lot of the customer service staff are ignorant of the difference.

Probably someone kicked it back when they saw the batteries and it got held until someone confirmed it was under the limit.

Particularly in China doing nothing is preferable to doing something wrong.

I also posted this on FlyerTalk and was asked if these batteries are lithium? I don't think so but can't say with 100% confidence that they aren't. Lithium batteries are prohibited in checked or carry on in Kunming, as someone on FlyerTalk pointed out. China Eastern isn't going to help me. I'll call the Chiangmai airport missing luggage phone number, manned by a Thai Airlines employee, everyday through Tuesday at noon to see if bag came in on daily flight from Chiang Mai (arriving at 10:20 AM). If it doesn't come by Tuesday, I'll file a claim. If I ever fly China Eastern again (highly unlikely), I'll never do a stopover again, particularly at Kunming. According to FlyerTalk, between airport security and China Eastern, the scenario painted by Radioman is very accurate.

I used to love JAL, but I haven't had the occasion to use them since the 80's

The hotties were so pretty and polite and helpful, a marked contrast from the 80's era NZ farm trolls who were just getting enthused with in your face feminism...

The JAL flight attendants are STILL pretty and polite and always smiling. Even in Coach.

Every time I think I've got JAL calibrated, every time I think I know what to expect from them, they find a way to surprise me, and it is ALWAYS a nice surprise.

One of the reasons I'm getting unhappy with American Airlines is that they're making it difficult (and expensive) to fly JAL for the final leg into BKK.

I have been flying the BKK > NRT leg of my USA flight on JAL.

Last time coming back from the USA, the AA plane left 4 hours late (mechanical issues) so completely missing my

connection at NRT. I decided to go and arrive late and let the Japanese handle things.

The JAL staff did great!!!

They arranged a flight from Haneda, had my bus ticket all prepared, helped me with my three HUGE

suitcases...top service!

I arrived in the early AM in BKK but very pleased!!!

This is pretty much par for the course with JAL. They really are that good.

I fly United out of Guam a few weeks ago to Tokyo. 7am flight, get on the plane, maintenance issue, get off.

9am get on new plane, sit for 30 minutes, get off again

12 noon, get on 3rd plane, sit on Tarmac for 20 minutes with flight plan delay.

Took off and arrived in Japan to be greeted by my grumpy wife who'd been sitting at Narita for 9 hours.

And I was happy - decades ago planes would take a risk and fly.

I'm glad they didn't take off.

And yes, big chunky waitresses, err, hostesses, but

I've never fucked a hot hostie, or a fat one, so I don't care.

Plenty of hotties where I'm usually going.

My baggage odyssey may be coming to an end. I was told by lost baggage at Chiangmai airport to contact china Eastern at BKK airport. They supplied the email address. Give them my baggage claim number and the number off the lost baggage form that I filled out at Kunming, and request that bag be sent to Chiangmai ASAP. I did that and gave them more information than requested. Two hours later, I receive an email from them, saying bag has left Kunming and will arrive today (probably without batteries) around 4. And they gave the flight number. I'll call around 5 to confirm that bag is there (the day that I arrived in Chiangmai, the agent at lost baggage told me that bag would be at Chiangmai next day;2 days later, I drove to airport and bag not there) and go to airport either tonight or early tomorrow. I'll certainly post the hopefully exciting climax to this saga tomorrow.

It can't have had that much fun, in either Kunming or Shanghai, China. I was thinking today that this trip , even though it was to be a trip working on my first house (I left second house in KC in the middle of a bedroom/bathroom renovation), really has sucked. Getting sick wasn't in my plans. Finding out that there is no market for prescription toothpaste in Thailand because the average Thai doesn't even use regular toothpaste, let alone prescription toothpaste. In truth, no trip over the next eight years back to Thailand will be a vacation. At best, it will be a working vacation. The day after my 10 year old graduates from high school, I plan to be on Cathay Pacific first class, one way to Chiangmai. Up until then, my real vacations will be in the U.S. Like in June, when I take my son to Disneyworld for the 3rd time in 3 years. Sometime in the next year, I'll try out semi Retirement, meaning I'll work 6-8 months out of the year and vacation the rest. So, as bad as these last two weeks have been, I only have to wait 1 month for my next vacation.