Bangkok Literally Sinking In Sex As Brothels Steal Groundwater

Coss

I would have thought that it was the cumulative efforts of all the bouncy bouncy, you know, like people all jumping up and down, on a bridge, the combined down force, on the down stroke, so to speak, is driving the city down, like a distributed pile driver, :)

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/nightlife/2017/10/05/bangkok-literally-sinking-sex-brothels-steal-groundwater/

dsc05610-696x497.jpg

What a load of rubbish. Going back almost thirty years, Green Spot (and associated soft drinks manufacturers) had their processing plants around Ramkhampaeng and Rangsit where they were pumping this out of the ground to supply soft drinks to the whole of the country. Yes, it did cause subsistence then and the practice was stopped and they were forced to move out. A law was put in place where it was illegal to pump ground water out, at least in Bangkok, and I believe, was quite strictly enforced.

If the article has any truth to it, the offending parties would also need water processing and purification of ground (read hard) water. Soap and hard water do not mix.

I don't know about you Coss, but I'd be choosing the one on the far left.

Goes to show, there's more 'pumping' going on then you would have thought. Cheeky buggers. Seeing as how Bangkok is sited on a floodplain, when the supporting groundwater is removed and the above lying mud starts to dry up, you'll begin to see at the very least compaction, if not outright drops in the subsoil. Not good in a city which let's face it has some very shoddy building standards.

Of course the Machiavellian way of looking at this is to simply say - get rid of the massage parlours - but I don't think that is politically tenable either.

Offering immediate help as environmentally thoughtful quality tourist I promise to postpone any related activities til the next general flooding of Khrungtep. I understand from the weather forecast we are talking about tomorrow . In case of wrong forecast I might consider alternative strategies.