Marriage Visa Or Retirement Visa

unit731

Friends who go with the marriage visa are reporting Hua Hin is getting tougher. A good friend who has been here 20+ years, at least 15 on a marriage visa had to produce his two sons, ages 12 and 8, to immigration this year. He has never had to do that in the past

For me not a problem, indeed the more the merrier, will bring all the outlaws down from the farm once a year for a visa renewal party. Pick up trucks in immigration yard with some music and food. Wheel in the kids with all their school friends, imagine a dozen teenage girls in full on selfie mode and a dozen boys with a batt-ket-bon in the car park.

Wonder if I should bring along a couple of the mia noi / giks as well :shocked:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Met a guy recently, who has married a Burmese lass, and despite being married, and he's a lawyer, there's no way he can overnight with her inside the borders of Myanmar. Lovely couple.

A bit like Laos in that regard, I had to spirit MLG out of the country on overnight "Shopping" trips. But now we're married there's no problem, except we're in NZ, so it's really quite difficult to overnight in Laos.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

>I thought the overnight Laos thing was if you weren't married ?<

​Yes when we weren't married it was very difficult to be anywhere in Laos without a chaperone.

After big wedding, no problem.

Some I know, were hassled even though they were married (married outside the country), so they had to keep a Marriage Certificate handy.

Also I know of folk who cohabited, unmarried, no problems.

In Laos, I think at the end of the day, it's who in the neighbourhood or friends or family, is likely to complain, that matters.

Also those of the Male bonding team, had no problems in any circumstance, as Homosexuality is not recognised in Lao Law.

Do it on retirement and Bt800k in the bank. Deposit and forget.

Why ?

Well, they might raise the Bt800k substantially but you'd most likely be grandfathered.

You might also get divorced or widowed and you'd have to do the cash option anyway.

The marriage option is very useful if you're still working. If your contract isn't renewed or you quit your job, your visa automatically ends in only a few days. A marriage visa avoids that problem. But if you're retired, the retirement visa is the way to go. It's much easier in the long run.

Retirement or Marriage ... so old school I could say so 2017 but it is a few hours until 2018

Go for the new 5+5 Visa

Over 50 Check (Damn I think I am still 25)

Polce Clearance Check

Medical Insurance Check

3 Million Baht in a Thai Bank Account Check

Got mine last November past and it was painless

I was out in the only bar open tonight in the large town near the village.

Pommie bugger opposite was complaining about everything, from his no good Thai wife, then back to Non-British people taking over England, how they come in and work illegally, get benefits or claim to be refugees, long rather racist whinge.

Then discussion turned to Visas for Thailand.

I made the comment that I find it's actually getting easier to renew my Visa each year,

He replies he thinks it's getting harder, he has to do it every 60 days.

"Don't you mean report every 90 days I ask"?

No - 60 days, I have to go over to Laos and get a new visa every 60 days.

I look confused?

"I have to get a tourist visa every 60 days"

My look just gives me away, a tad pissed at me he says "Its not the same"

Retirement or Marriage ... so old school I could say so 2017 but it is a few hours until 2018

Go for the new 5+5 Visa

Over 50 Check (Damn I think I am still 25)

Polce Clearance Check

Medical Insurance Check

3 Million Baht in a Thai Bank Account Check

Got mine last November past and it was painless

restricted to only a few nationalities !