The Anything Goes, Danger In Thailand Thread

Coss

On 1/6/2019 at 12:01 AM, Coss said:

ITALIAN MAN JUMPS TO DEATH AT TERMINAL 21

An Italian man jumped to his death Thursday afternoon inside a downtown shopping mall in Asoke area.  Federico Maistrello jumped at about 3pm while descending via escalator from Terminal 21’s sixth floor. The 44-year-old died at the scene.  With him, police found a passport and anxiety medication. They said the man’s family had been notified.

Ouch!

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/01/04/italian-man-jumps-to-death-at-terminal-21/

The number of people who kill themselves in LOS - or try to - by jumping from height in malls or at the airport is puzzling.  Central Festival Pattaya is a regular spot, it seems to me from occasional news reports, and of course there's one every now and then at Suk.  I don't get it - if you're going to do it, get yourself to a real highrise or condo building, and do it right.  No need for a public spectacle.

I suppose it might be a function of finances?  For someone down on their luck - or facing the terrifying prospect of returning to their shitty homeland alone and broke and broken-hearted with no return trip to LOS planned - perhaps the Central Festival has the marked virtue of being free and easily accessible, and the airport just happens to be the place where reality really sets in - and opportunity presents itself.  Also, free.

The enduring topic of farang falling/jumping/pushed from height in Thailand: the wind blows, waves pound the sand, rivers run to the sea, the mountains turn to dust - and still, the farang will fall from the sky... eternal law of God, physics, and karma.  It would not surprise me overly much if it turned out that Newton's discovery of gravity was not occasioned by an actually apple falling on his head, but rather by hearing a foreigner calling the Thai name "Apple (Appen)!" while plummeting to his death from a nearby condo.  Newton in Thailand - back when it was all - well, almost all - quality tourists.

I would suggest that some who leap, are in a bad state, before they get on the plane to LOS and that the their end, may be the overriding reason for the trip.

And that what we used to know as the girlfriend experience, has saved more than a few from a splattering end.

JMHO

• Like 1