All The Beer Gardens Have Been Declared Illegal – Again

Coss

25358571_10159816465910338_8537282590407175608_o-696x464.jpg

BANGKOK — A top alcohol regulator said Monday his agency is suing the popular open-air beer gardens at CentralWorld Plaza for violating advertising laws.

The legal action won’t stop there, said Alcohol Control Board director Nipon Chinanonwait, who threatened to crack down on similar events nationwide on the grounds that they entice the public to drink. A trade guild denied Nipon’s allegation.

“Beer gardens themselves are against the law. We have to take action,†Nipon said in an interview. “This is because the form of beer gardens is event marketing. Because, let me ask you, who would open beer gardens without a purpose?â€

Nipon’s comment came after he took officials and police to inspect the beer gardens Thursday night at the downtown shopping mall. They are set up annually by major brewers of brands such as Chang, Leo and Singha, and usually feature live music in a festive atmosphere.

Following the raid, Nipon pressed charges against the beer garden organizers for violating Section 32 of a 2008 law that bans attempts to “encourage†drinking. If found guilty, violators face a maximum fine of 500,000 baht.

But Thanakorn Kuptajit, president of the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association, said beer gardens do not fall under Section 32 because they sell drinks, but don’t advertise them.

“We believe it’s not illegal,†he said. “Do these beer gardens have a license to sell [alcohol]? As far as I know, they do. Since they have licenses, their actions are lawful.â€...

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/12/18/beer-gardens-declared-illegal/

There is no law behind the asinine drinking hours. :elf:

When Thaksin first became PM, he put Khun Purachai (aka Mr Clean) in charge of things, and Purachai is a born-again Buddhist who hates drinking. I remember going to my local Mini Tesco to pick up a few cans of Asahi beer, only to be confronted by a big sign declaring that "According to the Revolutionary Council ..." alcohol could now be purchased only during the hours of 12 noon to 2pm and from 5pm to midnight. I thought, "WTF? There's been a military coup and I didn't even know it?" Nope, no coup ... just Mr Clean dragging out a coup proclamation from 1972 and using it to restrict drinking. Within a few weeks, the courts had announced that proclamations of past military coups had no legal value. Purachai then replaced the warnings with a new one stating that "According to the police ..." So the police can make up their owns laws whenever they want to? Who needs a legislature anyway. The "police" signs remained up for a long time, but now they read "According to the Ministry of Health ..."

I haven't Heard of the Ministry of Health saying any such thing, but the signs stay up and the non-law is enforced except in the little mom and pop groceries and the major hotels. I'm more three times the minimum drinking age in the USA, but in LOS I'm only old enough to drink during the hours chosen by a non-elected, long-out-of-office, political prude who thinks we should all be good Buddhists, regardless of our religious beliefs or lack of any.

And now we have another do-gooder wanting to close down the beer bars. :(

p.s. Does anyone else remember PM Kriangsak Chamanan? A career soldier, he reportedly drank two bottles of bourbon every day, and he lived to the age of 86. :xmascheer

This board has always been the shining star of lawful behaviour and morale compass within a world of for example drunk punters in Soi7/1.

I am therefore badly disappointed about the support of the promotion of public drinking by almost naked women.

Merry Christmas and may destiny lead you onto a path of immaculate behaviour now and in future. ( I won´t follow anyway )

• Like 1

This board has always been the shining star of lawful behaviour and morale compass within a world of for example drunk punters in Soi7/1.

I am therefore badly disappointed about the support of the promotion of public drinking by almost naked women.

Merry Christmas and may destiny lead you onto a path of immaculate behaviour now and in future. ( I won´t follow anyway )

I too am also very disappointed that the women aren't completly naked. I still wish everyone a merry xmas and a happy new year,