All The Beer Gardens Have Been Declared Illegal – Again

Coss

Last time I was living in Thailand was during that Purachai era, it seemed every month or so there was a new tightening of the screws by him... but my weekends were saved by all night drinking on soi 13 in a pinch, or the all night pick-up club on petburi soi 45, the Lao Chalern... and a little mom and pop shop at the mouth of Soi Wat Amphawan near my apartment, saviors on many occasions...

Beer gardens - and beer bars, more importantly - must live on...

• Like 1

Purachai almost put the nightclubs out of business, insisting they all close at 1am, when they didn't really get going until around 10 or 11pm. There was no way they could make enough money to survive. Thousands of musicians, wait staff, cooks etc lost their jobs. He also started having the police raid nightclubs, locking everyone inside until they could be piss tested. A police captain told one of my friends that he thought the piss testing was illegal, but he had to obey his orders.

I rode with several taxi drivers who told me they'd been musicians in nightclub bands, but Purachai had killed that and they had to do something to make a living. So taxis it was.

• Like 1