One For Your Iq

bust

The following code, or cipher, was sent to the legendary American author and puzzle-lover Edgar Allen Poe by 17-year-old Schuyler Colfax, who went on to be equally renowned in different circles.

Anyway, this code looks absolutely awful at first, but see if you can translate the 21 different letters, numbers and symbols into letters to give a phrase.

There are no unusual words in the answer, but given that the puzzle was set in 1840, the language is fairly ‘formal’.

As another hint, two of the letters stand for themselves and the semicolon ‘;’ and the full stop are actually themselves as pieces of punctuation.

8n{}58†d w!0 b† !x6n†z k65 !nz k65,8l†n b}x 8nd}Pxd !zw8x 6k n6 36w-†nd!x86n;

x=†0 z†,5!z† x=† w8nz 8n 8xd 62n †dx††w !nz k653† 8x x6 5†36l†5 8xd P†l†P b0 5†l†n,†.

{}n8}d

Good ruck :wink: ...... and no Googling 'Kong :nono:

Injuries may be atoned for and forgiven but insults admit of no compensation; they degrade the mind in its own esteem and force it to recover its level by revenge.

Junius

The most common symbols in our code and the number of times they occur are † (20), n (14), 8 and × (12), 6 (11), d and 5 (eight) and z and ! (seven times each).

The most common letters in English change depending on which list you’re looking at, but E is always first, and A R I O T N S seem to be the next bunch. This means † could very well be E.

Just simple Logical approach

(Plus I have sen it before :p)

Yes I'm too lazy for this one, too much work.

Less of an IQ challenge, more of a job of work, for those of us that have written code in the past.

A clue may be found in the 24th and 25th characters which are - nz - a dead give away, for the NZ herald web site, that I saw this on, a few days ago.

:neener: :neener: :neener:

Good ruck :wink: ...... and no Googling 'Kong :nono:

Bust

No need for google, I am not part of the Ashes Touring Party :(

Just take the Characters and Numbers and then assign frequency to such as letters in the "Poud Angktit" or as in English

The † did if for me † = E , the rest follows

OK I am a Sad Bastard whom analysis databases before morning Coffee so what I am a clever twat and I know it hehe

an easy one

In a barn, 100 chicks sit peacefully in a circle. Suddenly, each chick randomly pecks the chick immediately to its left or its right. Each chick pecks only once, and is not affected by which way its neighbours peck. What is the most likely number of unpecked chicks?