Russia Thread

Coss

My mother saw the B2 spirit bomber long before it was publicly flown to Australia in the early 1990's.

I assume more than a few people did during flight trials, 

We had a hose on the cliffs overlooking the ocean on the east coast of Oz that was pretty isolated, and one day she swore she saw an UFO

She described how it flew up to the coast then arced back out to sea.

Given it wasn't her first UFO sighting no one took her seriously, but she described it like a big boomerang shape.

Decades later, just only a few years ago, I was working with a mate who worked on SR-71's and B2's when they flew out of Guam secretly.

He told me how they'd test the range refueling by flying down to Oz, turn into the coast and fly  back.

I was just stunned, I asked him to repeat this and he said, yes, they'd fly down to the Australian coast then turn around and come back. Was never public knowledge.

I just laughed, 

Mum had been right

1 hour ago, My Penis is hungry said:

<<Digital Combat Simulator>> I don't know the term but I do know some real war gamers, as in military chaps whose job was to game wars, 

I think it's been around longer, maybe just the term is new/proprietary, but digital combat simulation has been around a long time for recreation and professional use?

Well according to Wiki when I got my info from 2008 and it does say several air forces including USAF have used as a training aid.

You think I just pluck dates and years out of thin air?

I guess so = DCS you can blow stuff up and the planes are about as realistic to fly as possible, i.e. engines will misbehave if you don't know what you're doing, missiles etc, behave like the real ones would.

e.g. 95% of all the buttons and radar screens etc, work.

Hornet-2-1024x576.jpg

Need a Big screen - a kick arse Graphics card, Joy stick and Throttle and Head tracking.

It's about as immersive as you can get, without going to a real simulator or a real plane.

And as I say, you can blow stuff up.

It's a steep learning curve to get it all happening and to keep skills up to date, I try and "fly"  three to five hours a week.

And I'm still learning.

I can Air to Ground quite well,  but dog fighting, is beyond me at this time :)

Also has WWII planes and theatres.

image.thumb.jpeg.f190e9ec36fd4ec9bd3dd3d3e98b2b77.jpeg