China Thread

Coss

Authorities in China's Henan province say they will start releasing money to customers who have had their funds frozen by several rural banks.

The announcement came just a day after a rare protest in Henan's capital, Zhengzhou, turned violent.

Payments will be made in batches from this Friday, local regulators say.

The four banks that were the focus of the protests are believed to have frozen a total of 39bn yuan ($5.8bn; £4.9bn) of deposits.

Full Story

23 hours ago, Mekong said:
On 7/12/2022 at 7:44 AM, Coss said:

related: keen observers will note that the people in Sri Lanka, have removed their government.

I must be one of those keen observers of which you speak Link

Sri Lankan president Gotabaya Rajapaksa flees the country

Rajapaksa, 73, and his wife boarded a special air force flight bound for the Maldives, local officials said

Sri Lanka’s embattled president Gotabaya Rajapaksa has flown out of the country, heading to the neighbouring Maldives, according to local officials.

The 73-year-old leader, his wife and a bodyguard were among four passengers on board an Antonov-32 Sri Lankan military aircraft which took off from Colombo’s international airport on Tuesday, immigration officials told Agence France-Presse...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/12/sri-lanka-president-gotabaya-rajapaksa-fails-attempt-flee-airport

I wonder how many suitcases? and how heavy they were, you know, like gold heavy...

I've always said that Wiki-woo would be unreliable, particularly for the information on Politicians etc... and now it seems Politics - generally.

I will however say, that it's a good source for information, on things like "Mercedes M-120 V12 engine" where no-one is going to make huge money, on knowing,  piston or bore sizes...

But information on people,  well wot a load of shite....

i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_Jinping  doesn't mention Winnie the Poo hardly at all, though it does show his shape wear to good advantage  

XJP-Obama=Winnie-Tigger.jpg

We will now know, if the Red Menace are monitoring this Forum, they are extremely vociferous, in the defence of Xi vs Winnie the Pooh...

'I'm losing my mind': Chinese depositor loses life savings in bank

China's zero-Covid policy has inflicted devastating economic pain as unemployment is soaring and people aren't earning as much. Even saving money has become a risky bet. CNN's Selina Wang speaks to a man who fears he's lost his entire family's life savings...

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/07/15/china-economy-covid-wang-henan-bank-pkg-intl-hnk-vpx.cnn

• 4 months later...

On another forum I've been in conversation with a guy in Beijing China

below is a slightly edited post of his

_____

My remarkable weekend

Didn't show up much, have been busy with jobs hunting in xxxxx, looking for ways of going back for my fish and deer, and lock down in Beijing China. 

On the Thanks Giving day, another total lock down imposed in my place (The lockdown here is different than yours) where has over 20,000 residents, and I felt I can`t take it no more and ready to do something against authorities and those CCPs who lock us up without lawful excuses, only because two people test positive for C19. 

Waked up at 0400 on Saturday, have my coffee and bit of hangover I stared out of the window, I saw movement around Community Office and main gates, couple guys were doing something, later I knew they cut fence and cctv cable. When sun came up, more and more people gathered there... at 0930 I heard people calling that "go to the south entrance" then hundreds followed, and they broke the chain in front of police and two young fellas picked the fight with those so called security guards that we hired, but they actually worked for somebody else.

Long story and a long cold day, but finally we won our victory by mid night. I thought I will be alone in this fight, have prepared for the worst outcomes but I was totally wrong. Those young skinny fellas and girls who live and work as livestock, those who can't drop their phones for five minutes, don't drink at party, can't have complete conversation with....

But they were the first wave to each battle, showed no fears. Since they got all the show, then my job is simple... the police. Checking their gears, talk to officers as one man to another, calm police down with reasons. Yeah, I am good sales. Try my way to protect my people and be the first counter measure if there could be arrest attempts from police or I see guns using against my people. 

But this is not the end of story, since last Friday night the whole country of China did the same, people started to revolt. Significant in my district, all communities fight the same at same day, that`s is about 4 million people. 

By Sunday, people on the streets in major cities start to call out let Xi, the chairman of CCP step down. People marching to Tian An Men square calling for freedom and rights. I still remember that hot summer day in 4th of Jun 1989, now is prelude. My god, not the god stranded me here maybe for a reason.... things will go mad soon, unarmed against armed police .  

I know the sound from machine gun from 1989. This may could change the game very much, dramatically save thousands and xxx thousands of life. Yeah save life, not take life. 

Now, any police offices here, SWAT team, I like to ask few questions about techniques of how to control crowds without firearms. Old Roman fight, I read some.

_____

Serious situation, first hand from China