Straya

Coss

Fucking idiots, I love this though ><<"At one point they were dining at the Black Panther cafe which is also the name of a black empowerment movement against the KKK – so they don't seem to be very intelligent people." >>

Morons!

I am all for moving Australia day, after all there was no Australia until Jan1 1901, so Jan 26 is a dumb date, people have been against this date since the 1920's so it's not new

There is a proposal to move it to May 8 (Think about it - may8)

I love that idea

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook doesn't wanna pay to publish other people's journalism. So they've blocked news on their site in Straya.

Facebook blocks news-sharing in Australia

https://nypost.com/2021/02/17/facebook-blocks-news-sharing-in-australia/

---

Facebook blocks news content in Australia in row over proposed media law

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/18/facebook-blocks-news-content-in-australia-in-row-over-proposed-media-law

--

Facebook blocks Australians from accessing news on platform

https://apnews.com/article/facebook-blocks-australians-news-access-8557e9b4890b002921aa4f0738b13ea7

---

Good on ya Strynes, Make them pay for stealing content.

If I had a TV station, Radio station, or a newspaper or even a newsletter (paper) and I copied the substantive content of an article, or other journalistic work and then sold it, along with a description of how to go to and get it,  from the source, existing laws would punish me severely for theft and copyright and so on.

Good on ya Strynes, Make them pay for stealing content.

That's why yer Facebook is missing something today...

What I find scary about this is some observers / commentators are saying the Facebook action has stopped access to ALL News, Weather etc in Australia. 
As if FB is some portal you need to be registered to in order to access the Internet

Are some people really that stupid?    ....   No need to answer!

7 hours ago, Mekong said:

What I find scary about this is some observers / commentators are saying the Facebook action has stopped access to ALL News, Weather etc in Australia. 
As if FB is some portal you need to be registered to in order to access the Internet

Are some people really that stupid?    ....   No need to answer!

The irony being we have all bitched about the false news on facebook, well , it's all gone

Facebook makes a power move in Australia - and may regret it

excerpts:

- “Zuckerberg’s flex here shows how he can disrupt global access to the news in a heartbeat,” said Jennifer Grygiel, a social media expert and professor at Syracuse University. “No company should have this much influence over access to journalism.”

- “If it is not already clear, Facebook is not compatible with democracy,” Rep. David Cicilline, a Rhode Island Democrat who heads a House subcommittee that has urged antitrust action against the company, wrote on Twitter. “Threatening to bring an entire country to its knees to agree to Facebook’s terms is the ultimate admission of monopoly power.”

- But a news-free Facebook might also be a more pleasant experience for many people, said Drew Margolin, a professor of communication at Cornell University. Facebook would have been better off if it had given Australians a choice to opt out of news, he suggested. If many did, the company could have used that for leverage with the government and publishers.

“What happens when they say we’re ready to turn it back on and we say please don’t?” he said.

https://apnews.com/article/facebook-continues-news-block-australia-e0b545d3ba541c2de8389c6bd0a6f23f

Coss Comment: as many may know I don't do facebook. Excepting for a fake account I use to take a peek at my family's offerings, when necessary, I actively avoid Facebook.

The fact, that when MLG, on two occasions, held up her phone, to show me "special deals" that I then took her to, that turned out to be false, has done nothing to change my view .

As I've said so often in the past, Popularity ≠ Truth.

Also: my news sources are many, but primarily Associated Press, Reuters, BBC, Al Jazeera, ABC 'merica, ABC 'straya and so on.

and in related and important, supporting news:

Facebook and Google could lose bargaining power under upcoming U.S. bill to help news outlets

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bipartisan members of Congress plan to introduce a bill in coming weeks to make it easier for smaller news organizations to negotiate with Big Tech platforms, said Rep. Ken Buck, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee’s antitrust panel.

The U.S. bill would be introduced at a time when Australia is in a pitched battle with Facebook. The social media giant blocked news feeds and other pages - including those of charities, and health and emergency services - as part of a dispute over a proposed law that would require it and Google to pay news outlets whose links drive traffic to their platforms, or agree on a price through arbitration...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-media-facebook-us-exclusive/exclusive-facebook-and-google-could-lose-bargaining-power-under-upcoming-u-s-bill-to-help-news-outlets-idUSKBN2AJ16X

*note:  "The social media giant blocked news feeds and other pages - including those of charities, and health and emergency services" - but not of any proud boys or anti vaxxers, etc, etc, etc.

Mr Hypochlorite has let his négligée slip...

zuck.jpg.87b45ec6c215ceabce98347e6fa354d1.jpg