Thai Cocks Win Big Prize!

radioman

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1409610/thailand-grabs-another-ice-sculpture-grand-prize?utm_source=bangkopost.com&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=most_recent_box

Bangkokpost

Thailand has again won the grand prize at the annual International Snow Sculpture contest in Sapporo, Japan, this time with a magnificent pair of Thai fighting cocks.

c1_1409610_620x413.jpg

• Like 1

They get a lot of practice carving those intricate wax dragons and stuff. Also a lot of wooden scrollwork, though the skilled artisans are not as many these days.

Another lost art revived elsewhere were those cinema billboard painters. I remember the most colourful and vivid billboards outside the Thai cinemas. They are now painting buses..

When I came back to Bangkok in 1998, one of the first thing I noticed was the absence of those huge movie posters. I asked what happened to them. The answer was that cable TV more or less killed the market for movies. Thai films used to be cranked out 5 or more a week. Now only a few are made per month. You'll also see that there are far fewer movie houses these days. Only the big ones are left.