5 replies to this topic

#1 bust

bust

Beach Inspector

• Board Sponsors
  • 13211 posts
  • LocationNot where I should be

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:56

Personally I steered well clear of all the "Cryptocurrencies’" hype. Won't invest in anything unregulated. Personally think it's all 21st Century Pyramid Trading.

I have been investing since last year in green energy companies and following Elon Musk's moves.
Right direction? Only time will tell.

Very curious to hear others thought on this.
"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck"

#2 Stickman

Stickman

sheep shagger

• Members
  • 1796 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 19:18

I'm in a holding pattern at the moment and mainly in cash.  Low return, of course, but I just see so many black clouds around at the moment.  It all comes back to one's risk profile, doesn't it?

#3 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10517 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 19:47

Stick

I have been in a holding pattern most of my life mate, and I don’t do risk hehe little scarey cat am I

In 13 moons time I will be 55 can cash my private pension in, I won’t, let it sit there and work for me, still making a few bob / month from working.

There does come a stage in life when one asks oneself “How Much”, How old will one be when pops this mortal coil, I wanna die in debt haha

I could put my feet up and be comfortable until I hit 85,what happens if I make 86 I’d be fucked to be honest, Mrs Kong tells me to retire now, no way, keep head down nose to the stone and keep earring as I know one day soon I will be deemed too old to work, wheel out the old fart
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#4 Stickman

Stickman

sheep shagger

• Members
  • 1796 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:50

View PostMekong, on 12 February 2018 - 19:47, said:

I could put my feet up and be comfortable until I hit 85,what happens if I make 86 I’d be fucked to be honest, Mrs Kong tells me to retire now, no way, keep head down nose to the stone and keep earring as I know one day soon I will be deemed too old to work, wheel out the old fart

Wouldn't it be nice to know the exact date we were going to check out, even if that date was much sooner than we'd like?  At least that way we'd be able to plan from a finances point of view.

But it's not just finances, is it?  There are so many things to consider when we pull the plug.  The world is changing so fast that the things we once thought we'd like to do in retirement might no longer be possible or might not be nearly as enjoyable as they would have been had we done them earlier.  Case in point: I backpacked around continental Europe for 3.5 months when I was 20.  Even the really popular places weren't that busy back then and it wasn't hard to escape the crowds at all.  I see videos of St Mark's Square in Venice these days and simply don't think I would enjoy visiting with it getting many tens of thousands of visitors every day.

Knowing just when to pull the plug and retire and once and for all is one helluva tough decision.

#5 Pretendingtobemale

Pretendingtobemale

Pooh-Bah

• Board Sponsors
  • 2085 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:40

i've been using "Acorns" to do my savings, smat idea, every time you buy something with any plastic card, they round it up to next $.

i.e. coffee is $4.50, they put 50c into the Acorns account.

I find if I don't "See" the money I can save, once I can see it, it gets spent.

Doesn't take long to make a nice savings.

Additionally you can volunteer to contribute a set amount each day.

I've chosen $40, as I have two school bills twice a year and that will more than cover it.

The money is invested in a choice of 5 different investments, from very safe, to speculative, and last one is "Green"

So far even with melt down, I'm only down 1.4% on funds invested (and that I hope will come back as ASX etc rise again)

All in all its a good system
לעבן צו פּאַלעסטינע

#6 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10517 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:37

Stick

Haha I was in Thailand pre-internet / pre Stickman era I blame you and your ilk for screwing things up you twat you made it accessible, and I mean that in a lighthearted way, since you went offline I have to find others to fire my pseudo angst at, Bollox you were a great target Monday mornings will never be the same for me without giving ya shite, yes sad bastard with nothing better to do.

I don’t wish to be told the exact tiime and date of my demise just plus or minus a couple of years will suit me, our lass is probably better off financial if I was dead, yes laugh and joke about present but secure future, bollox I have oft thought about faking my own death, I am not joking
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users