Bangkok's Dying Nightlife - Its That Bastard From 2004 Doing It Today

My Penis is hungry

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/entertainment/2018/02/13/bangkoks-fun-ending-midnight/

And from another story

<<Local police chiefs in both areas said they have done nothing but enforce a 2004 regulation requiring clubs and bars registered as restaurants in the two popular nightlife areas to close by midnight.>>

Seems that the cause is that dam bloke who tried to kill it off in 2004, Paruth? Can't remember his name but at one stage he had Cowboy and elsewhere closing early,

And he did kill of forever Thermae being open till 5am +

And his long cold fingers are still trying to kill of nightlife!

Buy the man a beer! He needs to loosen up!

Purachai is a born again Buddhist. He hates booze and any form of sanuk. Thaksin for God knows what reason put him in charge, and he began raiding the nightclubs and bars, arresting the patrons and keeping them for piss tests etc. Carabao even wrote a song about it - Purachai Crackdown. The song pointed out how "Mr Clean" had put thousands of musicians and others out of work with his puritanical nonsense. I rode with a number of taxi drivers who told me they'd been musicians before Purichai killed their occupation. Thaksin is long gone, but Purachai still pops up periodically.

p.s. I remember that there was there was going to be a well publicised Nanapong dance contest in the disco at the Nana Hotel, but the guys got a phone call from a "friend" in the police. He warned them that Purachai was going to raid it. They decided to call it off rather than take the chance.

But... aren't all Buddhists born again?

During that time I recall cursing that name, oh Purachai you bastard, you've closed the bars again! And it was terrible, sure (albeit not as terrible as the season of the drug killings... early closing time more of an inconvenience than a wanton bloodletting) But the spirit was there somehow still, you could always find some place to party all night, even if it wound up the pavement at the mouth of soi 13 (which has not always been the African drug bazaar, boys and girls - it used to just be drunk farang and drunker thai chicks having a good time, no underlying tension, not even when the monks passed, and the skytrain started rolling again, or when the sidewalk filled with workers in the bright sun of morning, and me an Buriram Dao or Long-hair Lek and company would finish off the last of myriad beers, and finally grab that cab to the PB or penthouse hotel...

Ah, but I digress.

Purachai time sucked, but it was still fucking great. Plus, there was often some talk about the zone plans, and so somewhere some of the places would have been allowed to stay open.

Come to think of it: I was working in Bangkok back then, normal hours - 9 to 9 or later usually. It's probably a good thing that during that period, I would have often been encouraged to go home with the closing of the bars - or I would have missed even more work that I did, and might not have used that job as the springboard to the career I'm still working in. Maybe Purachai saved me, who knows. But I still detested those two smug lifeless dudes playing out their cynical bullshit - T and P... enemy mine... (eventually came around to appreciate Richy Rich Squarehead as a symbol, but as a dude, no.