New Zealand Thread

cavanami

" a 1br can set you back $1,200 a month."

​I'm in a 1 brm in Auckland and bay NZD 1,400 a month - that is widely considered to be the cheapest rent in Auckland. But get out of the cities and prices plummet.

Cripes, Coss, are you living in the heart of Otara Town Centre? I didn't know such cheap rents existed in Auckland!

Wow, very good. I did read a lot about how much it costs just to receive packages from anywhere. Cost of living is high in many places actually. Even in developing countries its starting to creep up. Los Angeles has a very high cost of living. In the worst areas of Los Angeles, near or in gang areas (the few that are left due to gentrification) a 1br can set you back $1,200 a month.

The cost of living in New Zealand is relatively high yet the country is towards the bottom of the lost of OECD countries when it comes to earnings which makes it a double whammy. Houses cost a bomb, rents are high and even groceries can be crazy priced. There's a bit of a running joke in New Zealand that if you want to buy New Zealand wine or New Zealand butter cheap, go to a supermarket in London (where they are cheaper than in NZ!).

Cripes, Coss, are you living in the heart of Otara Town Centre? I didn't know such cheap rents existed in Auckland!

No not Otara, good fish shop in Otahuhu. I lucked into a spot in Birkenhead Point at a time when they were having trouble filling 1 of 6 flats.

The cost of living in New Zealand is relatively high yet the country is towards the bottom of the lost of OECD countries when it comes to earnings which makes it a double whammy. Houses cost a bomb, rents are high and even groceries can be crazy priced. There's a bit of a running joke in New Zealand that if you want to buy New Zealand wine or New Zealand butter cheap, go to a supermarket in London (where they are cheaper than in NZ!).

Yes, I can get leg of NZ Lamb, admittedly frozen, cheaper in Nong Khai and also the Emporium in Bangkok, than I can at the local, cheapest supermarket here. I have photographic evidence.

F'n bullshit this, "we have to compete with the market price." In NZ business is "Gouge, gouge, gouge", all the way. Which is why I buy my fishing gear from China with free postage at 1/10th the NZ price.

• 2 weeks later...

Coss, as you miss what is going on in that little island you inhabit....check your fellow resident....you can send in a contribution to support him....

Kim Dotcom: The Deep State, WikiLeaks, and Seth Rich

Kim Dotcom loses appeal against extradition

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has lost his latest court battle against extradition from New Zealand to the United States.

Dotcom and three others - Matthias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato - have been accused of more than a dozen criminal copyright charges relating to the now-defunct file-sharing website Megaupload​, which it is alleged shared pirated films and other content.

They face extradition to the US, which claims they were involved in a worldwide criminal organisation that led to an estimated loss to copyright holders of more than US$500 million.

After losing their case against extradition in the North Shore District Court, and then on appeal in the High Court, the four men had appealed to the Court of Appeal, which on Thursday rejected their arguments.....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105254436/kim-dotcom-loses-appeal-against-extradition

kimdotcom-benny.jpg

He has been banned from more than one restaurant in NZ, usually because he insists they install a couch for him to sit on...

Well we've been expecting, some sort of expulsion, but the rule of law is, that provided with sufficient funds, a person is able to continue the appeals process, as Kim seems to want to do.

Feeling backed into a corner are we?

Ross Kemp is dick head, known for hiding when the cameras aren't on him.

And Gangs in NZ are as criminal as anywhere, but they mostly are harmless to the general public, I have no compunction about walking up to a gang member here in NZ and having a chat, not a long one, as they, don't usually have a very good vocabulary, but as long as I don't appear to be from an opposite gang, they are fairly amenable.

Stick? wot yer reckon? fair call?

And Cavanami, :: if(AYouTubeVideo = true, (anyYouTubeVideo = true), BullShit)

try and work that one out....

And Gangs in NZ are as criminal as anywhere, but they mostly are harmless to the general public, I have no compunction about walking up to a gang member here in NZ and having a chat, not a long one, as they, don't usually have a very good vocabulary, but as long as I don't appear to be from an opposite gang, they are fairly amenable.

100% with Coss on this. Gangs aren't an issue here for most people. Over in our sister city of Hastings you see plenty of patched gang members around and when you walk past them they will invariably raise their eyebrows at you in a silent greeting. Unless you're a magnet for trouble, no issue with them for Joe Public.

Feeling backed into a corner are we?

Ross Kemp is dick head, known for hiding when the cameras aren't on him.

And Cavanami, :: if(AYouTubeVideo = true, (anyYouTubeVideo = true), BullShit)

try and work that one out....

I just consider the source = Coss, ignore