New Zealand Thread

cavanami

I had dinner with some people who hail from middle eastern parts yesterday, and they were as shocked as the rest of us are.

These folk are such kind people, that they volunteer at the local community centre, to help in any way that they can.

The father is taking weekly bible classes, because his intellectual curiosity is piqued and he wants to learn about Christianity so that he understands it better.

They describe themselves as modern Muslims, their daughter is a doctor and a friend.

• Like 3

My sincerest condolences. The last place you expect to see a tragedy like this is NZ frankly. Generally speaking, I've rarely ever met a Kiwi that wasn't cool as shit. But you can always have a bad apple or two in any society, even the best of them. 

The prime minister's comments were spot on as a reaction to it. 

This tragedy tells all of us that we must fight hate everywhere, and no place, no matter how unlikely to have such events are vulnerable. It only takes one person. 

New Zealand is by definition a land of immigrants other than the aboriginal peoples. Just depends on when you came. The shooter was part of the community. I recall after 9/11 I felt as American as I ever did. In that tragedy, I recall vividly while driving in LA the next day, it was the most polite Los Angelenos were ever to each other. You felt a strong bond to everyone. For a brief time, black, white, latino, Jew, Christian, atheist, men, women, we were all one. The sad part is it took a tragedy to make us see that. Eventually the shock of it wore off and we went back to our corners and came out fighting. But for a brief time, there was unity. My parents said they experienced with the JFK assassination, the landing on the moon as well. 

New Zealand is experiencing that now. This type of thing, in the last place one would expect it bonds you like no other. I'm guessing no one is a stranger to another there now because everyone has the same point of reference of sadness and shock. It bonds and binds you. If you have children you think of the world they may have to live in. After 9/11 I felt sorry for my nephews if this was going to be their 'normal'. 

I have no doubt whatsoever, New Zealand will emerge better, stronger and more determined not to have something like this happen. As I said, the coolest people, bar none, I've come across. 

Quick story. I was sitting on a plane as we were boarding and a guy came over to my seat and started rubbing my shoulder. He was smiling. Of course I am thinking what the fuck is going on. Some gay dude making a public move on me. He looks over several seats up and this girl is smiling and giggling They were both in their early 20s. I was wearing a t shirt that said "rub me for good look' with a clover leaf over it. He said 'Just doing what the shirt said and my girlfriend is scared of flying' and I just laughed and laughed. They were from Auckland. That is one of many cool experiences I've had. We had a great time chatting on that flight and like almost all the other Kiwis I've had the pleasure of meeting face to face, it ended with an open invitation to visit anytime if I found myself in their part of NZ. There are other stories over the years with different ones and Coss epitomizes that same experience. Great heart and a fairness that comes across online naturally.

• Like 1