New Zealand Thread

cavanami

NZ sticking it to the Aussies! The azzclown in NZ says, "...The Horticulture New Zealand release claims that there is no difference..." what a load of shite!!!

Horticulture New Zealand CEO publicly admits to importing vegetables from China and sending on to Australia.

An admission by the New Zealand Horticulture industry’s Chief Executive has confirmed once again that the New Zealand processed vegetable industry is importing vegetables from China, repackaging them in New Zealand and sending them to Australia as, ‘Made in New Zealand from local and imported ingredients’.

In a recent media release Hort NZ Chief Executive Mr Peter Silcock conceded that New Zealand receives vegetables from China, freezes them and sends them to Australia.

“These sorts of practices are designed to mislead consumers about the origin of their food. If they see that something is a ‘product of New Zealand’ they would expect that it has been grown there, not sent from China to get a sprinkling of New Zealand product before being sent to Australia”, said AUSVEG Chief Executive Officer, Mr Richard Mulcahy.

AUSVEG is the National Peak Industry Body representing Australia’s 9,000 Vegetable and Potato growers.

The Horticulture New Zealand release claims that there is no difference between ‘Made in Australia from local and imported ingredients’ and Made in New Zealand from local and imported ingredients.

“The deciding difference is that China has a Free Trade Agreement with New Zealand and that these practices are now such commonplace they are being endorsed to by the New Zealand Horticulture Industry,” said Mr Mulcahy.

AUSVEG has been campaigning for more stringent Country of Origin Labelling laws so that these sorts of loopholes are not possible.

“It’s unfair that the goodwill of Australian consumers who buy New Zealand produce on the basis that it comes from New Zealand is being so badly abused similarly to the expectation that when buying locally grown produce here in Australia, you expect it to be Australian”, said Mr Mulcahy...

https://ausveg.com.au/media-releases/horticulture-new-zealand-ceo-publicly-admits-to-importing-vegetables-from-china-and-sending-on-to-australia/

NZ and Aus love to dicker over produce.

Constantly trying to one up, each other, to gain advantages for their respective businesses.

i.e. New Zealand challenged Australia's apple quarantine measures that had prevented NZ apples from being exported to Australia for nearly 100 years. The WTO appellate body (appellate - geddit?), found that  restricting New Zealand apples imports to mature, symptomless fruit, with straight-forward sample inspections at the border, would fully achieve Australia’s appropriate level of protection. And ruled in NZ's favour.

and on and on....

On Country of Origin Labelling, if I make spaghetti sauce with NZ beef, NZonions and then use canned tomatoes grown in China and canned in Italy, is it NZ sauce? 

tee hee...

Where is it manufactured? He He 

For my sins I did quite a bit of work on Country of Origin whilst in Vietnam, if goods were determined to be ASEAN of G7 then they were not subject to tax. Tax savings on over USD 1 Billion of hardware is a major saving.

it comes down to components of most expenditure such as Research and Development and procedures being followed. For example if something is manufactured in Count B using Country A design and R and D following Country A procedures, ISO 9001 etc then it is claimed Country A is country of manufacture just like APPLE

Sorry, I thought it was implicit in my phrasing that I would be manufacturing my sauce in NZ using my (I'm a Cordon Bleu Chef) R&D, and NZ procedures vis health and hygiene etc.

But unlike Apple, I will be sticking to my original recipe that consumers know and love and not hand it off to another person, a non Chef, to  tweak for efficiency and thereby transform my famous and exemplary sauce, into a cheaper to make product, that behaves like and is full of bugs like, the opposition's early, teal green version 3.0 and 3.1 efforts

A Non-Chef, or anybody for that matter is allowed to tweak as that would be picked up as a failure under the QP.

Remember, the Quality Plan is one of “Coss Sauces Incorporated” documents that has to be complied with

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure we remember this bloke in Michigan, recently:

bloke.jpg.6ef5d3558be8f8a5efb8a3f6c6bbaf4f.jpg

To illustrate:  as a contrast, and on the topic of gun wielding, this is how we handle a man, in his 50s, in a state of distress, in possession of a firearm.

Man dies after being shot by police near Waitara, Taranaki

An armed man has died after being shot by police in Taranaki this afternoon.

A man has died after being shot by police in Taranaki this afternoon.

In a statement, police said the man, in his 50s, had driven from a property in Brixton, near Waitara, in a state of distress about 3.40pm.

He was believed to be in possession of a firearm.

Police found the stationary vehicle on Mamaku Rd, off State Highway 3, about 4.10pm.

The road was cordoned off and a police car with flashing lights and a female officer with a Glock pistol was seen stopping drivers turning off from the state highway.

Central District Commander Superintendent Chris De Wattignar said when officers advanced on the vehicle the occupant, "who was known to police, presented a firearm at them".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/300016112/man-dies-after-being-shot-by-police-near-waitara-taranaki

To explain, the possible appearance, of the state, just willy nilly shooting the citizens, every police shooting here, is handled by coppers, who are trained to "only shoot if absolutely necessary" "and "without regard to race, creed or other distinguishing factors".  Every shooting, is subject to an internal Police enquiry and a public judicial enquiry. Police themselves are very hesitant to shoot, as they know, right or wrong, it's a career end.

Apart from justifiably upset, family and friends, most NZ'ers, would rather see the police take on this role, than be confronted by a loon, with a gun.

police.jpg.ac4edf67b49ea997b501ccd5d7b942f2.jpg

Side note: almost all of our lady cops are youngish, blondish and in reasonable fitness condition.

Some of our road cones can be a bit flaccid though.