New Zealand Thread

cavanami

Your folks getting in a fuzz at the Canadians then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53706732

A Canadian brewery has apologised for unwittingly naming one of its beers after a Maori word that is commonly used to mean pubic hair.

Hell's Basement Brewery in Alberta said it released its Huruhuru pale ale two years ago, thinking it meant "feather".

But Maori TV personality Te Hamua Nikora pointed out the common interpretation of the word in a Facebook video.

The brewery's founder said the product would now be rebranded.

"We acknowledge that we did not consider the commonplace use of the term huruhuru as a reference to pubic hair, and that consultation with a Maori representative would have been a better reference than online dictionaries," Mike Patriquin told Canadian network CBC.

"We wish to make especially clear that it was not our intent to infringe upon, appropriate, or offend the Maori culture or people in any way; to those who feel disrespected, we apologise."

Mr Nikora also criticised a leather store in New Zealand for using the name Huruhuru and said he had contacted both the store and brewery over their use of the word.

"Some people call it appreciation, I call it appropriation," he said.

"It's that entitlement disease they've got. Stop it. Use your own language."

A spokesperson for the New Zealand leather store told the RNZ news site they had meant no offence by the name, which they had intended to mean wool, or feather or fur.

• Haha 1

Imported frozen foods may have caused New Zealand's new coronavirus outbreak. But it's very rare to get sick from such packages.

And I'm not arguing, so I'll put the story Cav quotes, in context.

If you read it closely, it is full of "could" and "may" and it further says, of the virus staying infectious on frozen goods -  "It is possible, but the virus is not very stable outside the human body" 

So lets delve deeper, beyond the attention grabbing headline and see that ::

The 1st notified case of the virus, that's reappeared and is the source, of this current family based community cluster, is a bloke in his 50s, who worked at an importer of frozen foods, Americold  - "Americold is the premier provider of cold storage & supply chain solutions in New Zealand, US and Australia." Americold.co.nz

I would suggest that it is possible that the virus could have come on a person, from Australia or the USA. It is indeed, not impossible, that it came on the outside of a frozen box.

It is also now known, that despite exhibiting Flu-like symptoms, that the family coughed and sneezed their way, to church gatherings and a trip around the mid North Island visiting tourist attractions, family and well, just spreading it about.

Whether or not, they were aware that they were spreading the virus, they did a good job.

NZ now has a policy of,  if you've got a positive test, it's quarantine for you, no more staying at home and self isolating, we can't trust the average Joe Public, to be sensible, when they are coughing and sneezing.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:11 PM, Coss said:

I would suggest that it is possible that the virus could have come on a person, from Australia or the USA. It is indeed, not impossible, that it came on the outside of a frozen box.

On reflection, you'd prolly have to thaw her out first.