New Zealand Thread

cavanami

NZ was involved in the Coast Watchers!

A bloke I knew was a Cost Watcher, incredibly brave men. Alone in the middle of nowhere, locals may or may not dob you in to the Japs, on;y allowed to use the radio at extreme times. Very tough.

Was a photographer when back home in Oz, pretty much same job he had in the war. No one seemed to know what blokes like him did.

I was in Guadalcanal a few months back, still can see wrecks, mind you the whole Micronesia/PNG/Solomons region is littered with wrecks gun emplacements etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was (still am to a certain extent) considering moving to NZ. I've read nothing but good things about the place. I once dated a kiwi (broke my little heart btw). I even went as far as visiting the Nz embassy who referred me to a website. I was seriously looking at finding a work visa in the summer of 2016.

I would consider smaller areas. Wellington, Christchurch or even smaller. I saw a number of videos by Americans on what to expect. A friend of mine, millennial visited last year and didn't like it but he went there to party and find girls and ended up hanging out with Maoris who he said are 'territorial' about their women. lol

I wouldn't be as predatory. In fact, I'd likely go there with a wife (yeah, CS is considering settling down) and she is in the medical field.

I had planned on taking a visit. Not sure when I will but I won't move any where to settle down that I haven't seen first.

I was (still am to a certain extent) considering moving to NZ. I've read nothing but good things about the place. I once dated a kiwi (broke my little heart btw). I even went as far as visiting the Nz embassy who referred me to a website. I was seriously looking at finding a work visa in the summer of 2016.

I would consider smaller areas. Wellington, Christchurch or even smaller. I saw a number of videos by Americans on what to expect.

Like everywhere, New Zealand has its pros and cons. Take an extended holiday, travel around both islands and see how you like it.

Think hard about exactly what you're looking for - while New Zealand excels in so many ways and for many ,it is paradise. But to others it might suck.

The biggest downside is the cost of living which is very, very high. Houses cost crazy money in any major city and unless you have a large nest egg and / or a salary well in to 6 figures you're going to be renting - and that is silly money too. Local produce, meats etc. are of a very high quality but also very, very expensive. Eating out - small Asian eateries aside - is also very expensive and drinking in bars in New Zealand sets you back silly money. Regardless of the lifestyle you're looking for, I'd say only consider moving to New Zealand if you have the skills to secure a 6-figure income and / or you have a large nest egg.

Having moved back to New Zealand after 17 years in Bangkok, I am happy here.....but being frank, a lot of that is because it's home - where friends, family and things I identify with all are. There's much I like, but the cost of living is just plain crazy.

Is it just a handle or a real axe?

The husband - oops - Partner - is, whilst a good bloke and progenitor of various TV fishing shows, a social media whore and knows, the visual value of a strategically placed axe handle in a photo. Despite there being a Diplomatic protection squad, huddling outside, under the Lemon tree, in the cold and rain of the NZ winter.

Here in NZ, single women living alone, are often advised to leave a big pair of men's boots and shoes outside their front door, in case of intruders wanting to enter through the front door. This practise has less efficacy at windows.

I would consider smaller areas. Wellington, Christchurch or even smaller. I saw a number of videos by Americans on what to expect. A friend of mine, millennial visited last year and didn't like it but he went there to party and find girls and ended up hanging out with Maoris who he said are 'territorial' about their women. lol

I wouldn't be as predatory. In fact, I'd likely go there with a wife (yeah, CS is considering settling down) and she is in the medical field.

I had planned on taking a visit. Not sure when I will but I won't move any where to settle down that I haven't seen first.

As I've said, someone as sane as you, would be welcome here. Lotsa blokes here are territorial about their women. Wellington - I was born there, rain wind rain wind. Christchurch - I haven't been since the quake, but reports are good and the weather's not too bad, striking distance to some of the world's most appealing scenery.

If you're not too wedded to city life, there are numerous small town and hamlet communities that are tucked away in beautiful parts of the country, members of my family have left Auckland and now reside in nice little spots around the place.

Congrats on the potential wife :)

• Like 1

Like everywhere, New Zealand has its pros and cons. Take an extended holiday, travel around both islands and see how you like it.

Think hard about exactly what you're looking for - while New Zealand excels in so many ways and for many ,it is paradise. But to others it might suck.

The biggest downside is the cost of living which is very, very high. Houses cost crazy money in any major city and unless you have a large nest egg and / or a salary well in to 6 figures you're going to be renting - and that is silly money too. Local produce, meats etc. are of a very high quality but also very, very expensive. Eating out - small Asian eateries aside - is also very expensive and drinking in bars in New Zealand sets you back silly money. Regardless of the lifestyle you're looking for, I'd say only consider moving to New Zealand if you have the skills to secure a 6-figure income and / or you have a large nest egg.

Having moved back to New Zealand after 17 years in Bangkok, I am happy here.....but being frank, a lot of that is because it's home - where friends, family and things I identify with all are. There's much I like, but the cost of living is just plain crazy.

I agree with Stick, what income I have, perfectly adequate in Laos or Thailand, doesn't go as far here.

Wow, very good. I did read a lot about how much it costs just to receive packages from anywhere. Cost of living is high in many places actually. Even in developing countries its starting to creep up. Los Angeles has a very high cost of living. In the worst areas of Los Angeles, near or in gang areas (the few that are left due to gentrification) a 1br can set you back $1,200 a month.

Cost of living is a something that would make me think twice. In my travels, Kiwis and a few of the people of Nordic countries (Iceland especially) are almost always nice people. That played a lot in my decision as well as reading about it and seeing the beauty online. If nothing else, a holiday one day to see the place even if I don't move there. I'm still an All Blacks fan from that girl that broke my heart...lol.

" a 1br can set you back $1,200 a month."

​I'm in a 1 brm in Auckland and bay NZD 1,400 a month - that is widely considered to be the cheapest rent in Auckland. But get out of the cities and prices plummet.