New Zealand Thread

cavanami

On 5/31/2022 at 7:20 PM, Mekong said:

30600CE5-AA84-4314-B253-C703A6243720.webp

It must have been a REALLY slow news day for that to make the mainstream news. The fountain is an oddity, but it's not offensive and I really don't understand why someone would have much of an opinion about it. I reckon it says more about the diplomats who commented on it than anything else. If they want to comment on something crap in New Zealand, there are plenty of targets much more worthwhile than this fountain!

Not the Diplomat but the Diplomats spouse, They have nothing better to do.

The fact that somebody is on Twitter tells me all I need to know about them to be honest, like who gives a rats shit what they think.

Inthe UK press at the moment it is either Kiwi Fountains, Queens Platinum Jubilee or how Liverpools season has been a failure. I am sure the second is or no interest and the third is offensive to some (whilst amusing to others)

Kiwis are so desperate to be seen, the fountain story will be spinned positive for years to come.

The Queen thing - Liz is lucky, she'll go down as the last and one the the very few "good ones".

Liverpool  - older chap near me, has gone into a decline. 

• 4 months later...

New Zealand has proposed taxing the greenhouse gasses that farm animals produce from burping and urinating in a bid to tackle climate change.

The world-first scheme will see farmers paying for agricultural emissions in some form by 2025.

The country's farming industry accounts for about half of its emissions.

But farmers have been quick to criticise the plan, with one lobby group saying it would "rip the guts out of small-town New Zealand".

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said money raised from the proposed levy will be pumped back into the industry to finance new technologies, research and incentive payments for farmers.

"New Zealand's farmers are set to be the first in the world to reduce agricultural emissions, positioning our biggest export market for the competitive advantage that brings in a world increasingly discerning about the provenance of their food," she told reporters while announcing the proposals from a farm in Wairarapa.

The pricing has not yet been decided on, but the government says that farmers should be able to make up the cost of the levy by charging more for climate-friendly produce. 

But some farmers have condemned the plans, saying they could prompt many of them to sell up. 

Federated Farmers national president Andrew Hoggard said the plan will "rip the guts out of small-town New Zealand", leading to farms making way for trees.

He added that the body was "deeply unimpressed" with the government's interactions with farmers while examining alternative proposals. 

Farmers will now be selling their land "so fast you won't even hear the dogs barking on the back of the ute (pickup truck) as they drive off", he added.

Some have also argued that the plans could actually increase emissions if food production was to move to countries with less efficient farming methods.

In 2019, methane in the atmosphere reached record levels, around two-and-a-half times above what they were in the pre-industrial era.

Source