Pattaya Police Get Tough On Licences: Fines For Tourists And Rental Companies And Confiscation Of Vehicle

Coss

Or just drive Most of the monied kids my 2 know have their own cars and just drive. All provided by the Thai parents who are usually both off the scene away working on their business or whatever leaving their teenage kids to do pretty much as they please. When I first heard of this I thought it was pretty unusual and possibly a one off. Turns out that by 16 or even 15 a lot of kids are living either alone or just with a sibling or two, I now know of 11 from my 2 kids. These are monied kids from families who can afford private tuition. A lot dropping out of school after M3 to go to GED mills where they 'assume' they can cram for 3 months to get a university entrance and then freewheel. A driving licence is not something these kids tend to concern themselves with. A phone number to call in case is all they require.

Before I married my wife, her 11 year old son had been driving a motorcycle for 2 years. He was stopped by police but was let go when he started crying. That's never worked for me in the States! He's 25, living in the U.S., and now drives a car. He's never had a license. Why he hasn't spent any significant time in jail is beyond me.

Remember the rich kid a few years ago who borrowed a car and rammed a van off the expressway, killing about six people? It was a van returning from Thammasat and the dead included a professor and students. Much was made of the fact that the gal had no license, when in fact she wasn't even old enough to drive legally. I think she eventually had to pay a fine and do some community service. As soon as I saw her last name, I knew nothing would happen to her. She was "hi so".

I wondered at the time what she could have been doing on her phone, think this was in the days of Blackberry's and she could be seen actively thumbing the keypad in one picture as I recall. Having learned more about the underage unlicensed driving scene here it seems to clear to me she was just following protocol, if anything happens, phone a friend, the consequences are likely of no consequence, it's just a matter of money. Whilst she was "hi-so" whatever that is, this is common among the "no-so" (normal society). Her misfortune was simply being seen doing what they all would do in similar circumstances.

Remember the rich kid a few years ago who borrowed a car and rammed a van off the expressway, killing about six people? It was a van returning from Thammasat and the dead included a professor and students. Much was made of the fact that the gal had no license, when in fact she wasn't even old enough to drive legally. I think she eventually had to pay a fine and do some community service. As soon as I saw her last name, I knew nothing would happen to her. She was "hi so".

The unlicensed teen driver who killed 9 people in a car crash on Don Mueang Tollway in 2010 has been accused of breaching her community service order — her sole punishment instead of a prison term.

Orachorn “Praewa†Thephasadin Na Ayudhya, now 22, who was spared from spending a single day in jail and was ordered to do 48 hours of community service per year for four years, has not performed any legit community service in the past three years due to the excuse that she was “busy with her studies,†according to Nonthaburi Probation Office.

Pol. Col. Narat Sawetanant, director-general of the Probation Department, said that Praewa was supposed to consult with the Probation Department officials as to where she’d be sent to perform community service, but she has failed to do so.

Instead, she sent a lawyer to the court in February with documents signed by Phramongkutklao Hospital that she had completed 90 hours of community service there. The hospital is not even in Nonthaburi province, where she is a legal resident and required to complete her community service.

“The Probation Office previously issued a letter to Praewa and required her to perform community services that she had postponed for so long,†Narat told Thairath.

“Later in Feb. 2016, Praewa allegedly did 90 hours at Phramongkutklao Hospital, but she did not follow the procedure set by the office. She is required to perform her community services in the province where she is a legal resident. She cannot just work anywhere,†he said.

Her family also filed a complaint to Office of the Ombudsman Thailand accusing probation officers of “threatening her,†but Narat rejected the accusation, saying the officers are only doing their jobs.

The office has reported the conflict to a court, which is set to make a judgment on the case on June 21, Bangkok Post reported.

In December 2010, Praewa, who was too young to drive, crashed into a commuter van and sent it plummeting from Don Mueang elevated tollway, resulting in nine deaths and four injuries.

She became an object of public scorn after she was photographed resting against a barrier and chatting on her phone while the bodies of van passengers, some of them Thammasat University students, littered the road below.

The criminal proceedings ended in May 2015 when the Supreme Court rejected her appeal and upheld the punishment given by the Appeals Court in 2014, which marked the end of this infamous case with hours of community service.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/too-busy-hit-and-text-teen-driver-accused-breaching-community-service-order/

Six years later, crash-and-text driver Praewa completes community service

The wealthy young woman that killed nine people in a car crash in 2010 and never spent a single day in jail, has finally completed her remaining 138 hours of community service.

In an appearance at the Central and Juvenile and Family Court yesterday, Orachorn “Praewa†Thephasadin na Ayudhya, told the court that she had worked six hours day at Sai Noi Hospital’s emergency unit in Nonthaburi since June 27. Her work was supervised by the Probation Department (PD), The Nation reported.

In February, Praewa’s community service work became public interest when she sent a lawyer to the court with documents signed by Phramongkutklao Hospital that showed she had completed 90 hours of community service there without authorization from the PD.

The department said the hours she performed could not be counted because the hospital was not on its list of organizations where people on probation could do community service.

She later admitted she “misunderstood†the regulation and did not know the PD had to designate the places for her to perform the hours and would like to re-do them.

Since the young woman has finally, officially completed her punishment for the accident that killed nine people after the court order in 2012, a separate court order will be given for her to pay THB26.8 million, with 7.5 percent interest rate, to the families of the victims.

On Dec. 27, 2010, Praewa, 16 at the time, was driving a Honda Civic without a license on a tollway when she crashed into a van carrying 14 people coming from Thammasat University’s Rangsit campus.

She crashed into the back of the van, which was carrying mostly students and university staff. The crash caused the van to flip and fall from the elevated expressway. Eight people were ejected from the van and died. One more died later at the hospital. The other five passengers sustained injuries.

She became the focus of public anger when she was photographed just moments after the crash resting against a highway barrier and texting on her phone while the bodies of the van passengers littered the road below.

She was arrested and charged with driving without a license, since 18 is the minimum driving age in Thailand. She was also charged with reckless driving causing death and injury.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/six-years-later-crash-and-text-driver-praewa-completes-community-service/