Can’T Get The Bloody Lid Off

Mekong

I had a novel experience coming home by taxi today. Traffic was heavy and moving slowly, so the driver played a video game on his phone as he drove. A couple of times I had to tell him that traffic was moving again or that the light had turned green. Must have been an interesting game, since it had almost all of his attention. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a novel experience coming home by taxi today. Traffic was heavy and moving slowly, so the driver played a video game on his phone as he drove. A couple of times I had to tell him that traffic was moving again or that the light had turned green. Must have been an interesting game, since it had almost all of his attention. :)

Not long ago, the taxi I was a passenger in had to wait for one of Bangkok's endless red lights. Light finally went green; cars in front of us moved...we didn't. Took a few moments to realize the driver was sound asleep. Blaring horns behind woke him up before I had a chance and he took off with a lurch. We still had a fair distance to my destination but I had him let me off at the next convenient stop and took another taxi. No sleepy drivers for me.

My Mrs once was coming home from Don Muang, when she realised the driver was going out of his way to run up the fare. She told me she kept quiet, because she saw the driver had a large stiletto next to him. She was afraid that if she complained, he'd just drive her off somewhere remote and stab her to death. :surprised:

This was back when it was in the news about passengers from Don Muang were being murdered or robbed.

• 5 weeks later...