Net Neutrality - A Win !

Coss

Senate approves bipartisan resolution to restore FCC net neutrality rules

Thank F*ck for that!

The Senate approved a resolution Wednesday that aims to undo a sweeping act of deregulation undertaken last year by the Federal Communications Commission, issuing a rebuke to the Trump administration, which supported the FCC's move.

The resolution targets the FCC's vote in December to repeal its net neutrality rules for Internet providers. If successful, the legislative gambit could restore the agency's regulations and hand a victory to tech companies, activists and consumer advocacy groups......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/05/16/net-neutrality-is-getting-a-big-vote-in-the-senate-today-heres-what-to-expect/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2cd11d60c216

for those who are scratching their heads:

When the Trump Administration did wot they did, they opened the door to ISPs being able to supply fast internet, to only those consumers who pay more, i.e. create a super class of Internet users and subclasses of poorer users, so if you wanted your movies to stream fast with no buffering, you'd have to pay double double... yay for capitalism...

Now we're back to a more or less even playing field...

for those who are scratching their heads:

When the Trump Administration did wot they did, they opened the door to ISPs being able to supply fast internet, to only those consumers who pay more, i.e. create a super class of Internet users and subclasses of poorer users, so if you wanted your movies to stream fast with no buffering, you'd have to pay double double... yay for capitalism...

Now we're back to a more or less even playing field...

Are those your words or...?

Though I can't speak for the US I do know that in a lot of countries internet speed from the ISP to you (the consumer/end user)is priced accordingly. Want more speed, pay more money. At least I can't recall an ISP that doesn't do that now or since it all began pretty much.

When I read the article you referenced I noted that the changes were aimed at modifying the way web sites and app developers (it mentioned those 2 types of user specifically) pay for their access to the internet. It would seem almost reasonable to expect that the likes of Google, wanting trillions of Exabytes in 2 way bandwidth should likely pay more than anyone hosting a personal picture album website for family and friends. I think they are trying to separate content providers from content users and in particular try to find a way that makes it attractive to get into the ISP business and enlarge what has long been shrinking competition in that space.

As always though it seems things can get read into these kind of statements that don't talk in specific and explicit terms.

A bit like the other day when the Thai Gov says it might pass a law decriminalising marijuana and opium for medical experiments. The press reports this and the likes of Thai visa all start commenting as if they expect to be able to walk about smoking weed or carrying without fear of prosecution. My reading was totally different.

Yes they are my words and perhaps not the best thought out, but whilst you are no doubt correct, my point, if I could have another go, is:

The prospect was, that in order to get fast internet as a consumer , one would have had to deal with corporations that wanted to tie you up into 'combo deals' i.e. you'd have offerings that gave you Sky, Netflix, fast internet etc and that channeled you into a product line that would be easily controlled by vast conglomerates. This is an antithesis to free access to knowledge, as and where and when one wishes to find it.

I might have that wrong, but in any case, the OP news, that FCC net neutrality rules are to be restored, IMHO can only be a good thing.

Agreed, bundling is a bitch, real spawn of the devil stuff, definitely should not be allowed. So far as net neutrality is concerned I think its a minefield depending on how you see it. I would like to see net neutral as in carbon neutral, anything you have on the negative side needs to be equal to what you have on the positive side or better. I also think corporate terrorism creates massive distortion which kills a lot of startups, before they even are. Greed of course is probably what drives all this on some level and it would be hard to regulate against that.