Line?

Flashermac

LINE has a good group chat function. There were some memorable LINE Groups for guys in Pattaya and Clark.

{Just be careful if your sending in more risqué photos - don't send the wrong group - it happens!)

They also have a PC app so you can sit and type from your desktop.

Someone here should set up a THAI 360 LINE Group - the set up was to have 2.

a. For people in town

b. For others interested but not in town

Maybe we are all 10 years too late for that.

Cheers

LINE GOES DOWN AND NATION SPASMS

cropped.jpg

BANGKOK — Some thought they’d been hacked. Others thought their loved ones had cut them off. A few took the opportunity to reflect on their technological dependence.

When the most popular chatting application went down for several hours Thursday night, many Thais were more than just bereft of sending cute stickers to each other. Line went down for a wide swath of users starting at about 11pm until the early hours of Friday, leading users to take to Twitter to complain.

“#TheyCanLiveWithoutMe but without Line, I can’t live,†@Mheehook said, using another popular hashtag about heartbreak.

Some users said they couldn’t send any sort of messages while others could only send text messages without attached media. Others were unable to video call. The glitch was experienced on both the mobile and desktop versions.

As of late Friday morning, Line Thailand had given no explanation for the outage.

Tweeters took to using #LineDown to express their consternation at being unable to send bunny and duck stickers.

“Last night, I had to take a hard look at myself. Much of my life is tied to Line and social media, according to my irritation and worry levels,†wrote @Djtumm. “Important messages and photos are just kept here. We have to be careful. I’ve been personally hacked on Line.â€

“We were about to fight because of #LineDown. ‘Did you block me?’†@Dokkatiw tweeted. “Sigh. Even if you didn’t block me, it’s like you did anyway.â€

A Facebook post by iPhoneMod.net Facebook page posted 11:42pm Thursday asked people if they were having problems with Line and got over 8,700 likes as of Friday morning. “I thought my internet was down at first. Both my mobile phones using AIS and True didn’t work; it turns out Line is broken. Damn 555+†wrote commenter Paphitchaya Marnyapohn.

According to an unscientific poll by @Publicyalan, almost 80 percent of users experienced Line glitches.

“#TheyCanLiveWithoutMe but without Line, I can’t live,†joked @mheehook, using another hashtag about heartbreak.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2018/05/18/line-goes-down-and-nation-spasms/

• 2 weeks later...

The Thais seem to be crazy about Line, which apparently is a free texting service. Is it worth using and should I load it onto my phone? I get asked fairly often it I'm on Line and get strange looks when I say no.

everyone i know in thailand, including their parents, grandparents, and distant relatives in laos - use Line. people don't even ask for my number anymore - they just show me their line QR code (or whatever it's called) and ask me to add them on the spot. the main and obvious advantage for many folks is that you can call/text anyone without any minutes on your phone -- as long as you have a wifi connection, and line txts/calls don't eat away at your existing minutes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some corrections:

Line does have end-to-end encryption. Servers are not in Thailand. It is leaky, though.

It is the messenger app for Japan, Thailand (penetration 95%) and Taiwan.

Main difference to Whatsapp: the cute stickers, and Line needs less bandwidth. Sending pics is much easier with line, it's a pain with Whatsapp if you are used to line. Line still works if the signal is very poor, even phone calls with line work where Whatsapp doesnt work anymore.

Line was developed for Fukushima, after all.

Groups work better with Line.

Nowadays it is unusual and a bit weirdto exchange phone numbers. Usually you add each other in Line (many ways to do this)

BTW ICQ was used when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

BTW ICQ was used when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

ICQ was all that was available when us dinosaurs first roamed the internet and some of us are still around, you may knock it but at the turn of the millennium it was cutting edge until MSN Messanger (and to a short extent yahoo) became popular.

Who remembers “MSN Groups� Online forums with chat room capabilities

The problem I find with the likes of Line and What’s app are the fact that they are more social based and not professional, I feel comfortable with my Skype or Face Time ID on a Business Card but wouldn’t put Line etc on one (the fact I don’t have one is a moot point)

I've got it hooked up now, and I can talk to friends through the Wifi when I'm in my apartment. But if I'm not at home, I'd have to pay for internet time on my phone provider ... which pretty much defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.