Itsmedave Arriving Soon

khunsanuk

Just be aware that if you are using a non-stupid phone and require data access then SOME U.S. phones will not necessarily work on ALL of the available service providers networks.

And that should be made illegal.

If you pay your money for a device it SHOULD not be tied to a carrier

One good thing about Thailand is iPhone (don't know about Android coz don't use) are all unlocked just pop a local SIM in and you are away

And that should be made illegal.

If you pay your money for a device it SHOULD not be tied to a carrier

It isn't that simple.

The Thai GSM system uses completely different radio frequencies than the various US systems. These days, pretty much all phones will work on all frequencies, but this was not always the case.

Also, depending on your carrier and your plan, international roaming for US customers can be ludicrously expensive.

I own an old, cheap Thai GSM flip phone, that I use only in Thailand. It is so old that it think that years after about 2014 don't exist, so I have to play games with the year setting to get the calendar to match reality. But it works.

Also, why would I want US telemarketers to be able to call me in Bangkok? MOST of the calls I get on my cellphone are illegal telemarketers.

It isn't that simple.

The Thai GSM system uses completely different radio frequencies than the various US systems. These days, pretty much all phones will work on all frequencies, but this was not always the case.

Are you sure about that?

GSM/GPRS/EDGE is 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz in USA same as the rest of the world, UMTS/HSPA+is different 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz Global, 850, 1700, 1900 MHz in USA

The Apple iPhone 7 A1778 TD-LTE 32GB (Apple iPhone 9,3) supports 4 GSM bands, 5 UMTS bands, and 23 LTE bands

The Apple iPhone 7 A1779 TD-LTE 32GB (Apple iPhone 9,1) supports 4 GSM bands, 7 UMTS bands, 25 LTE bands, and 3 CDMA bands.

Both of these will actually handle all the bands that are used in Thailand but you could get caught out if you have an A1778 model and need to use one of the UMTS or LTE bands that it doesn't have.

Some of the Samsung models which is what I was looking at for a friend are much more complex in terms of bands and modes fitted to different models of the same series.

Also worth noting is that only dtac and True offer real LTE (in some areas) AIS and dtac also offer UMTS at 4G speed (hmm) so called 3.5G.

Carrier locking is another thing altogether and although it might be partly acceptable, depending on a very favourable contract with the phone at no charge etc etc. But then again who wants a contract?

I do not plan on using it for calls from back home...basically for photos and so my family can reach each other (for example, when my wife heads up to Kalasin while I am in Pattaya) I was concerned that there might be a charging issue with the different voltage/wattage, that we might fry our US phones if we just got an adapter. I think last time we came out we just got some cheap used phones for the month, but that was many years ago. Our hotel in Japan apparantly provides a smart phone for all of its customers to use. I have a Samsung Galaxy 7, Dee has a 9+, and Katherine has an 8.

Are there still lots of internet cafes around for me to check emails and stuff?

The Apple iPhone 7 A1778 TD-LTE 32GB (Apple iPhone 9,3) supports 4 GSM bands, 5 UMTS bands, and 23 LTE bands

The Apple iPhone 7 A1779 TD-LTE 32GB (Apple iPhone 9,1) supports 4 GSM bands, 7 UMTS bands, 25 LTE bands, and 3 CDMA bands.

Both of these will actually handle all the bands that are used in Thailand but you could get caught out if you have an A1778 model and need to use one of the UMTS or LTE bands that it doesn't have.

Some of the Samsung models which is what I was looking at for a friend are much more complex in terms of bands and modes fitted to different models of the same series.

Also worth noting is that only dtac and True offer real LTE (in some areas) AIS and dtac also offer UMTS at 4G speed (hmm) so called 3.5G.

Carrier locking is another thing altogether and although it might be partly acceptable, depending on a very favourable contract with the phone at no charge etc etc. But then again who wants a contract?

It will default back to a band it can use.

It's not like in the 2000's in early GSM days when the USA used spectrum the rest of the world didn't (ooops) so common overseas phones didn't work always with all carriers in the USA. I had to make sure my phone would work when going to the Tech shows in Vegas, used to have to borrow my wifes phone.

And USA Roaming between networks ARGHHHH

All much easier now, phone will drop to the spectrum it needs, may not be LTE

Looking forward to Hanrahans on Friday the 6th...also my friend Nick hosts a quiz night at his bar The Pickled Liver on Suk soi 7/1 on Thursday nights, so I will be down there looking to find a team to play with...if anybody wants to join and isn't afraid of running the ladyboy gauntlet in that area, I will be there for the pub quiz on the 5th.