Wifi Iphone Gps?

Flashermac

Dddave told me last night that he could use his iPhone for GPS. He said google maps would identify where you are.

So how do you do that? Is it automatic on your phone? It would be most useful, especially while driving in unfamiliar areas. I notice that most of the taxi drivers have an iPhone set up to guide them these days.

All iPhones these days have GPS, in settings/privacy/location services, you can turn it on and off for various apps, like Google Maps as Stick says, but also Apple's own Maps. Useful to turn off things like Farcebook if you don't want them following you around the place.

Also settings /mobile data, is a place that you can turn of data sucking, for apps you didn't know were eating your data because they can...

• Like 1

I don’t think data sucking will be an issue in Thailand, just got an SMS yesterday from AIS for 4G MAX Speed Package

488 Baht per month 2 GB at 4G and 8GB at 3G and unlimited AIS Super WiFi oh and 200 minutes of Voice Calls

Extra data 99 Baht / GB

• Like 1

I prefer offline maps, and am using Sygic on my Android phone. Think they also have packages for iPhone. Does not cost an arm and a leg and has lifetime free map updates, unlike Garmin and other service providers. If you lose your data connection you're in the dark until back online again. Although Google Maps does allow you to download for offline use these days.

I use both as each have their strong and weak points. Note that when using navigation your battery life will suffer.

I see that the taxi drivers keep the phone plug into their cigarette lighter. I presume that's to save the battery.

p.s. I got lost once when I strayed into a residential area in eastern Bangkok. It was pitch black put and a moonless night, so I couldn't even tell which direction was north or south. Took me two hours of driving around and following "directions" given by Thais, until I finally saw a sign pointing to Asoke. Then I knew where I was and followed Sukhumwit back into familiar territory. :(

p.p.s. Thai directions: "Go straight ahead, then turn left, then turn right." Oh, yeah, big help. Go straight HOW FAR? Turn left WHERE? Turn right WHERE? :shakehead

• Like 2

Flash

That is because you always sit in the front maybe, this trip home, first time since February I am seeing ALL taxis with dual USB charger points in the center console for rear passengers not sure if this is a land transport registry requirement or drivers trying to outdo each other

Apple maps works just fine for me in Bangkok and Vietnam that being said I use it more in Vietnam

• Like 1

I see that the taxi drivers keep the phone plug into their cigarette lighter. I presume that's to save the battery.

p.s. I got lost once when I strayed into a residential area in eastern Bangkok. It was pitch black put and a moonless night, so I couldn't even tell which direction was north or south. Took me two hours of driving around and following "directions" given by Thais, until I finally saw a sign pointing to Asoke. Then I knew where I was and followed Sukhumwit back into familiar territory. :(

p.p.s. Thai directions: "Go straight ahead, then turn left, then turn right." Oh, yeah, big help. Go straight HOW FAR? Turn left WHERE? Turn right WHERE? :shakehead

Sounds like directions I got in Costa Rica once, " Turn right at yellow building, go to blue and white building turn right." Hey, it's frickin night time and the street lights are shit!!

I worked on the US census many years ago. My job was finding and adding new residential areas to the census maps, so I was out in the countryside. I'd be told things like ... "Yah know where Bill Smith's barn burned down three years ago? Well, turn left there." :doah: