Britain

Coss

In the Antipodes, I and many like me, whilst availing myself of the viewing titillation, of various ladies sports, have still a great wonder.

Do team ball games like Soccer and Rugby belong in the Common Wealth games?

Also in the Olympics, children's pursuits like Skateboarding, Breaking (breakdancing) and an old favourite, Artistic (synchronised) Swimming.

The rational answer is of course, that these conglomerations of sporting competition, should reflect the populace from which they are drawn. That's why we have to have Shooting. Quite right.

_______

The stand out, sore thumb of a sport, that is missing, is of course, the wildly popular, Grumpy Old Bastard.

Though I would suggest, that there is some organisation to be done in the form of clubs and leagues and eventually National representation, in this sport.

I know I would be a contender, perhaps  others on this board would like to compete?

We'd need a judge or two, or perhaps we could have a Blind Peer poll, in which all contestants get to vote, on the other's offerings, with the one least liked, being the winner.

A certain amount of integrity, which we all have, would be applied to the voting process, to ensure that likes/dislikes were genuine.

Wot yer reckon?

-A: Stupid Idea

-B: F**k off

-C: You Moron

-D: Only with knives

-E: quarter past Seven

E

Your argument would be valid if Football (Soccer) and Rugby were included in the Commonwealth games.

Football (Soccer) Isn’t and Rugby on Rugby 7’s Brum 2022 Sports

Being an Antipodean I thought for more telling question from you is why do we still have the Commonwealth Games at all

After all the Commonwealth of Nations is such a dated idea, not much of a claim to fame for a Country to have escaped from the Empire, still have the Queen as Head of State, her image still on some some coins, banknotes and stamps, and the Union Flag as part of the Nations Flag

I stand corrected, only Ruby sevens then, still a ball game though.

As to being part of the commonwealth, I'd be happy not to be, unless I could get a job like Charles where furriners give me millions of pounds.

2 minutes ago, Coss said:

I stand corrected, only Ruby sevens then, still a ball game though.

So by your reckoning then Basketball,  Beach Volleyball, Cricket T20, Hockey, Lawn Bowls, Netball, Squash and Table Tennis should also be banned for being ball games.

40% of the Commonwealth Games is “Ball Sports” 

My point yes, thank you for making it. Though I mean team ball sports and team specifically.

Back in the day the concept of "Games" like the Olympics was about individual excellence and achievement. i.e., biggest weight lifted, javelin furtherest thrown, fastest runner over a distance, etc

But now society values individual performance less and even the education systems have changed, so that everyone gets a prize for participation, well done for turning up!

Imagine Team chess! 

So rewarding the participants of  team sports ,rather than than individuals, is more of the same.

I watched a team win on the the TV, do I get a medal too?

Exemptions must be made for Women's beach volley ball and their cheerleading shows, particularly those from the Beijing Olympics

14 hours ago, Coss said:

My point yes, thank you for making it. Though I mean team ball sports and team specifically.

So your argument is individual swimming events are OK but relay races are not, the same goes for athletics, or in track cycling team pursuit events are not real events because it is a team, or even doubles at badminton.

8 hours ago, Mekong said:

So your argument is individual swimming events are OK but relay races are not, the same goes for athletics, or in track cycling team pursuit events are not real events because it is a team, or even doubles at badminton.

Yep, but as I say: Exemptions must be made for Women's beach volley ball and their cheerleading shows, particularly those from the Beijing Olympics

• 1 month later...