Britain

Coss

Back 30 or so years ago, when I was still a young and fit guy, I'd occasionally have gay guys make a pass at me. I'd politely tell them I didn't go that way, since they could have made an honest mistake. But if they persisted after that, I could get belligerent. I remember one gay Thai that I practically had to throw off of the moving train to get rid of him. Fortunately, the train cop saw what was happening and grabbed the guy, hauling him away.  I'm tolerant up to a point. But put your hands on me, and that point has been reached.   :boxing:

p.s. Honours are fine, if someone has actually earned them ... through charitable work, medical research that benefits many, risking your life to save others (as did the cave rescuers). But getting honours - or even a knighthood -- for selling more records than anyone else or for kicking around a football always strikes non-Brits as bizarre, to say the least. It's rather like Obama's Nobel Peace Prize (apparently just for getting elected), which even the Nobel Prize board now agrees was asinine, especially as he was anything but peaceful during his years in office. 

But this is the Problem Flash IMHO less than 10% of the Honours got to people whom justify the award thereby devaluing the whole system.

Looking at this years Honours list, a Manager of England Football Team who lost in Semi Finals, an Honour for failure, some Lovey Dovey actors and actresses, Teresa May’s Brexit supporting allies i.e. Political appointees, not one of them could hold a candle to what the cave rescuers did / achieved.

What is interesting is th list of people who declined Honours the usual suspects John Lennon,  David Bowie Albert  Finney, Steven Hawkins John Cleese’s, T.S. Laurance (Laurence of Arabia) etc I never realised that LS Lowry holds the record for most Honours declined 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour

On 12/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, Mekong said:

But this is the Problem Flash IMHO less than 10% of the Honours got to people whom justify the award thereby devaluing the whole system.

Looking at this years Honours list, a Manager of England Football Team who lost in Semi Finals, an Honour for failure, some Lovey Dovey actors and actresses, Teresa May’s Brexit supporting allies i.e. Political appointees, not one of them could hold a candle to what the cave rescuers did / achieved.

What is interesting is th list of people who declined Honours the usual suspects John Lennon,  David Bowie Albert  Finney, Steven Hawkins John Cleese’s, T.S. Laurance (Laurence of Arabia) etc I never realised that LS Lowry holds the record for most Honours declined 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour

Yes, 

Though I raised my view of Ariana Grande, for politely refusing a damehood this year, as she felt the tragedy was too close, too recent. Mind you that coulda been her marketing division speaking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prince Philip crash: New Land Rover delivered to Sandringham for royal after crash

A replacement black Land Rover has been delivered to Sandringham, after Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, rolled his in a crash.   (because if they replace it, maybe he wont notice it's a new one)

The car was driven into the Queen's residence on Friday morning (Friday night, NZ time), inside a delivery truck, the Mirror reported.  

Meanwhile, the speed limit on the road where the accident happened is being reduced. (because we cant have one's peasants driving into Philip again)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/110032501/prince-philip-crash-new-land-rover-delivered-to-sandringham-for-royal-after-crash