Ex-US base 'not secret prison'

Flashermac

The army will open an old US military base suspected of housing a secret prison in Udon Thani as a tourist attraction, expelling any suspicions about the existence of secret US detention and interrogation facilities in Thailand.

Army commander Chalermchai Sitthisad has instructed the 2nd Army Region to renovate the former US military base and radar station in tambon Nonsoong of Muang district and turn it into a museum and tourist site.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1528890/ex-us-base-not-secret-prison

c1_1528890_180827043757_620x413.jpg

Yep - has the Thai signs all over the front.

"Voice of Thailand"

What's really funny is that there had been some agreement decades ago that the base would pay for the road repair in front of the base

But they don't 

So for about 500m on either side of the entrance the road is just crap.

So cars slow down. And the guards always get pissed if while going slow and through the holes you take photos. hehehehe

Road so bad I had a puncture there once, and the guards came over to see if I was spying, only to end up doing most of the wheel changing.

It is also claimed, that the very straight and quite good road leading up to the site from Baan Dung is a "runway" for emergency use, but with the power polls on the side, would have to be a pretty small plane. Any helicopters would land directly inside.

Interestingly no one from the base ever goes into the Baan Dung and some nice bars there, not a small town. Eddies Sports Bar was great, sadly gone, and the Pizza place was amazing, real pizza, from a bloke who became a mate of mine, his wife and he had lived in Italy owning a Piazza shop before retiring to Baan Dung. His wife looked Italian, not even Thai, curvy, large, lots of Italian fashion etc. Place wasn't doing that much business though, he taught my wife how to make Pizza and also some infamous Pizza place up at Nong Kai, after his wife threw him out of his home.