The Golden Era of Thailand Travel: 1947-1979

Flashermac

This post will take you back to a time when Thailand was in its infancy of tourism. When the beaches of Phuket were truly deserted; the floating markets of Bangkok authentic; before the sluttery of Pattaya; and a trip to upcountry Siam an adventure of a lifetime.

So hop into my Siamese time machine. We don’t have to travel back very far-not even a lifetime. And you might just better understand how you can still find “Old Siam” even in the era of mass tourism.

https://mythailand.blog/2018/06/13/the-golden-era-of-thailand-travel-1947-1979/

Bob Hope risking his life? Strange that I never got to see him in RVN. Only one Korean girl band ever came up to my fire base. I had some friends who saw Hope in RVN. They were selected at random and had an hour ride in the back of 5 ton dump trucks to get where he was playing. Then they sat in the hot sun waiting for him to arrive. Basically, Bob Hope entertained the REMFs.

p.s. I suppose you know the Dusit Thani Hotel is going to be torn down. Won't be much of anything left of old Bangkok before long.

The one famous Hotel I still remember is the Florida Hotel, up from Suan Pakkad Palace (great little Palace well worth a visit)

Also that one in Suk Soi 2? With crazy rules and lots of cats, but a great pool and very original 60's interior, dam have to look, The Atlanta, it is pretty cool, but bloody cats, no no sluts allowed

hahahah

Run on conservative principles and imperiously heedless of fashions and trends, The Atlanta is untouched by pop culture and post-modern primitivism. Its style and atmosphere hark back to gentler and more cultivated times. 

The Atlanta is popular with cultured occidentals, with writers, academics, artists, cinema & theatre and other professional people, with dreamers and innocuous eccentrics, and their families, who can afford to stay at more expensive places but choose to stay at The Atlanta. 

The Atlanta is against sex tourism. Sex tourism is exploitative, socially damaging and culturally demeaning: those who want to buy sex should do so in their own country. 

I love the revues

But most of all, don’t stay here if you have an Asian wife. The management concludes that any interracial relationship must be rooted in prostitution even if your wife is not Thai, presents a First World passport upon check in and is middle-aged like yourself. In other words, NOT “obviously a bar girl.” They are not straightforward about it either, preferring instead a subtle, catty approach to expressing their disapproval while continuing to take your money. At least it’s authentically Thai in that respect.