Travel to Vientiane

buffalo_bill

Learned bretheren

planning to travel to Vientiane in about 3 weeks from now , home of SEA´s sweetest woman. The initial idea to take the night train No25 sadly had to be cancelled due to lack of time and now the question arises : travelling most probably eco I suspect horrendous queues at either end of the journey at airport immigration . I landed recently at Don Mueang and spent the rest of the morning in between estimated 500.000 Chinamen. Would it make sense to take a plane to Udon Thani and then continue by taxi crossing the border at Nong Kai ? Madame tells me that the trip would cost about 2 hours door to door.

As we are talking : I like to spend the evening sitting by the  Mekong smoking a cigar. I love the quietness of this river. Even after thorough research I could not find a decent place offering facilities that come close to my imagination. Would anybody be able to issue e recommendation greater Nong Kai or Vientiane area ?

Thank you in advance, sincerely yours

I always enjoy visiting the Nongkhai / Vientiane area....nice people, relaxed atmosphere and wonderful setting.

From Udon Airport, there are minivans that wait until they have enough passengers and then go straight to Nongkhai and they can drop you at a hotel or at the border.  The journey is not more than an hour from memory and it was something like 100 or 150 baht.

I don't know what the story is with taxis crossing the border as I have never done that myself.  Immigration overland entering Laos can be slow if you need to get a visa there....the wait can be 30 - 45 minutes - which is not really that long, but the waiting area is about as basic as it gets and is outdoor - so if raining or very hot, it's not that pleasant.  That said, I have not crossed in a couple of years so things might have changed.

I hope this helps....

• Like 1

Wot Stick said...

Additionally, the bamboo shacks of old, on the riverbank, right at the town centre of Vientiane, have turned into a South Korean funded, people's promenade, good for people watching.

If one were to walk up the river bank, in an up stream direction, there are many establishments, that cater for drinking and such, ranging from faux Parisian style complexes, to other more rudimentary, mom and pop convenience stores, with  concrete tables and benches, next to the drinks chiller.

• Like 1

Get in touch with Dum Soda, as he has a small pub in Nong Kai and can advise on getting across the border. 100 meters from the Dum Soda pub is a nice hotel, clean and modern at 500 Baht per night.

Dum Soda had updated his facebook page or search on the board here for more info regarding Dum Soda as I was a few years ago.

• Like 1

Last time I went to Wiengchan (I ain't no froggie and don't use their spellings), I flew from Don Muang to the city. Not more than an hour flight, so why not just fly straight there and have done with it? You get your visa and change currency at the airport.  

p.s. Don Muang is crowded all the time these days, and not just by the Chinese arrivals. It's not bad flying out, just trying to get a taxi after you fly back. Plenty of acceptable hotels to choose from, nothing very schmalzy though. Best thing about the city is they have real bread! That's about the only good thing the French accomplished there.

Nok Air includes the bus as part of the ticket to Vientiane border going on memory.

For Hotels I love the old world charm of http://www.malinamphuboutiquehotel.com/mali/ 

Dumcunt can be found at his Pizza Restaurant, named after a Australian Kangaroo

Bor Pen Yang is great for a view and cigar of sunset, and it even has very friendly girls if you are single. 

Thank you Sir.

Been really busy...no spare time. Working 6 x 16 hour days and Golf and Beer on Saturday's (day off)

Loving country life. We've just started our 6th year here and kickin' ass.

Lost contact with most of the old crew....except GOD...DOG....and all the other aka's...555

Spoke with Chappy last month and hope to catch up in November

Got a message from expatdude over the weekend and maybe catch up early next month

Well  it's almost 7 years since the cancer treatment and Duncnut is still alive and kicking.... just proves the old saying.....Only the good die young.

Would love to have an old time (r's) reunion in Bangers some time. Still remember the last one at Det 5.... Don't think I've seen you or Mekong since.

Getting old by the day...my first 69 in December.....can't wait

Still, it ain't all bad when your MIL is 16 years younger than you...LOL

Cheers DS / DC

• Like 1