Thaksin’s Son Indicted On Money Laundering Charge

Coss

The son of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was indicted Wednesday on charges of money laundering, as pressure mounts on the ousted leader’s political allies.

Panthongtae Shinawatra was arraigned by prosecutors for allegedly laundering 10 million baht ($303,500) linked to an earlier corruption case involving Krungthai Bank.

In August 2015, executives of the bank were sentenced to 18 years in prison for extending illegal loans. Panthongtae is accused of laundering some of that money, although he has said he returned the money he received.

Panthongtae appeared Wednesday at the attorney general’s office and later at the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases.

The court granted him bail of 1 million baht ($30,340) and set the date of the next hearing for Nov. 5.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/10/11/thaksins-son-indicted-on-money-laundering-charge/

The Donald Trump Jr of Thailand

grovelling with iPhone and iWatch

DZZ3YLWMQEI6RLIKBYA67OR4YE-696x518.jpg

I knew a Thai woman who'd been classmates with him. She didn't like him and told stories, which I won't repeat here. He's another "Do you know who my father is?" boy.

p.s. Don't you like how they grant bail to the rich folks at one million baht. What a surprise that they all seem to disappear.

• Like 2

I recall something about that, was at Ramkamhaeng university, the one with no entrance requirements, and he got booted from an exam for apparently cheating as KS said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2223690.stm

But then cleared a month later

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2268564.stm

Of course I don't know, yet, about Thai universities but in all of my examination experiences, not too many granted, but there have always been clear and unequivocal instructions usually in large letters outside the exam room with any invigilators repeating the same verbally usually many times. Even to the extent of questioning each and every candidate if they have checked to remove any and all forbidden items.

Ramkhamhaeng University regs say if you're caught cheating on any exam, you will fail every one of your subjects for that term. You're also barred from studying for two years. But Ramkhahaeng agreed to reconsider their decision, and in the end he only failed that one course and was allowed to continue studying as usual. :)

Standard practice at Thai universities is that students must appear for their exam in their uniform and bring their student ID card so that proctors can verify they are really the person they claim to be. All hand bags, rucksacks, mobile phones etc must be placed in the front of the room and are off limits until the end of the test. The phone bit was added after some students were caught (at Ramkhamhaeng, I think) texting each other for answers during an exam.  Remember that Ramkhamhaeng is open admission, and some required subjects can have hundreds of students taking them. I met a Brit years ago who didn't realise that Ramkhamhaeng was "different" when he accepted a position there. He was shocked to find he'd been assigned an English writing class with over 900 students in it! The classroom was in fact an auditorium. He asked, "How am I supposed to grade all of those papers every week?" His Thai dept head told him that he didn't have to assign the students any writing. He could just lecture about it to them. Huh?  

Still, if you survive to the third and fourth year at RU, the classes should be normal size. It was foolish of him to "forget" that his had his notes tucked into his shirt pocket.

• 4 weeks later...

Pingpangpong Pleads not guilty

Panthongtae Shinawatra, son of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, on Monday entered pleas of not guilty to money-laundering charges linked to the multi-billion-baht Krungthai Bank loan scandal.

On Oct 10, public prosecutors arraigned him on charges of collusion and conspiracy in money-laundering over receiving a 10-million-baht cheque.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1570346/panthongtae-pleads-not-guilty-in-ktb-laundering-case#cxrecs_s

Hey, lots of people get 10-million-baht cheques.    :deal: