500+ Foreigners Arrested In New Nationwide Raids

Coss

More than 500 foreigners were arrested in another nationwide raid, police said Friday.

A crackdown on illegal immigrants seemed to gain intensity as the latest arrests almost doubled last week’s record numbers. A total of 528 foreigners were rounded up yesterday from 307 locations countrywide including Bangkok’s Nana and Sampeng areas, according to deputy immigration chief Maj. Gen. Itthipol Itthisarnronchai.

He said 114 were arrested for overstaying their visas, 172 for illegally entering the country and the rest for petty crimes. The majority of them are Indians and Pakistanis, with some Guineans and Malians, he added.

On Thursday, 40 Indians were captured from Sampeng market in Chinatown. Itthipol said 30 foreigners were arrested from Nana area.

The sweeping campaign has seen 2,801 foreigners arrested and banned from entering Thailand, according to Itthipol.

Maj. Gen. Surachet Hakpan, who usually attends press briefings following the raids, was not present Friday. He has led the operation since before his recent appointment as Immigration Bureau commander.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/10/12/500-foreigners-arrested-in-new-nationwide-raids/

Am I misled? Are there very few white or Chinese people caught in these raids?

11 hours ago, Coss said:

Am I misled? Are there very few white or Chinese people caught in these raids?

There have been many westerners caught in previous raids, just so happened this week concentrated on the Indian enclaves.

As a legal foreigner I am all for these raids on illegals since the majority are up to no good anyway. In  the eyes of the Thai’s foreigner no visa = illegal therefore all foreigners are illegal much like the assumption that most terrorists are Muslim therefore all Muslims are terrorists   ...   Tarred with the same brush. 

• Like 1

The other week flying from DMG to HKT with my daughter and a couple of her friends as we passed through the domestic terminal I was approached by one of three immigration officials who were at a point where everyone passes. So this one guy stepped forward and in excellent English requested to just check my passport stating quite clearly they were looking for overstay. My extension of stay is stamped June 2019 so no problem and a nice Thai smile and thank you. I have no problem with this, long may it continue.

• Like 1