The End of Pax Europa?

Steve

Sweden opting out of the Euro currency... http://trulibrarian.com/crazy/in-a-referendum-sweden-resoundingly-reject-the-euro/?campid=fc528i&utm_source=yahoo&utm_content=ref&utm_medium=cpc

Austria right wing https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/18/opinions/austria-government-could-hurt-europe-hockenos-opinion/index.html

Its a process. 20 years ago would anyone envision anyone as far right as we are seeing either in power or having significant numbers of the populace? Of course not. There are often events that will change things. 

Happened in America. America went from almost a purely capitalist state/Libertarian state where there were no social safety nets to now having social security, etc, The event that started was the The Great depression. WW2 changed it for Europe as well. Post WW2 Europe in social structure was vastly different than pre WW2 as they sought to build a world different than the one prior. 

I'm not saying a global war or depression will be needed, it will be much less and I think the next economic crash will play a huge part in it. And that crash will bring in more migrants and there will be a backlash to that. There are other factors as well. 

The middle class will be under much more pressure economically. The EU may or may not phase out but it will certainly not be as strong and united at the very least. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Even the right wing Europeans regards Bannon as the fanatic  idiot that he is and refrain from any cooperation. The same would happen if Trump would openly  start to support them.

The point is not that Bannon (or Trump) is/would be accepted. The video goes into the spread of far right politics throughout Europe. I just saw an interview on CNN of the Hungarian foreign minister. I could have mistaken him for the alt right if he had an American accent. 

The wave of nationalism, is going to weaken the EU. I would think that is a given but maybe I got it wrong. 

IMHO, I think that a lot of the alt right, or far right or what ever you wanna call 'em, are getting their voices heard, a lot more presently.

i.e. the last cupla years, because of the Trump led Republican achievements in the USA, the media (serious stuff not Fox, though Fox as well) see the 'right' as a story worth covering.

And the rise of Trump is truly remarkable, a grifter, born to wealth and never held responsible for much more than his own bowel motions, becomes arguably, the most powerful man in the world.

Politicians and wannabes and attention whores everywhere, are stampeding slavishly toward,  what is seen as a recipe for success.

As the downfall of Trump looms, folk who have invested much in the right, will seek to maintain their investment, political or otherwise.

I think, as Zuckerberg is finding, societal norms will out, and oxygen will again be limited to those who find the extremes, their environment.

The looming economic crash will change things. To what? No one is sure. I think it will swing the society to the left. A backlash against the 1%, Wall Street. Just a guess. 

With regards to Bannon, he thought he could form some former of union of far right governments and politicians but Hungary's nationalists don't care what the French or Austrians do. Which makes sense. They are nationalists. lol. 

The big question will be the economic downturn. Some countries will retreat into themselves. Others may go another route. Nationalism can hurt tourism for the ones who rely on that for a significant source of their income. I have read where tourism to America slowed because of Trump. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/tourism-u-s-down-trump-took-office-costing-4-6-n840326

Eastern Europe was the next region I wanted to explore in depth. I know a few people who have visited the Balkans, Hungary, Slovakia, etc. and raved about it (also the women :) ) but after seeing  the rise of the far right, I'm hesitant about going. It's not like I blend in. 

• 1 month later...

The Froggies are back at it again.

PARIS: "Yellow vest" protesters returned in force to the streets of France this weekend, clashing with police in several cities and smashing their way into a government ministry in Paris with the help of a forklift truck.

The Interior Ministry put the number of protesters who took to the streets on Saturday at 50,000, compared with 32,000 on Dec 29 when the movement appeared to be weakening after holding a series of weekly Saturday protests since mid-November.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/1606342/yellow-vests-storm-french-ministry-as-protests-turn-violent

The EU survived the Red Brigade and other anarchist groups and such in the '70s into the '80s. This threat is economic. The French yellow jackets is really about a society that has moved from its social democratic roots to something similar to America. The rich. The rich may be taxed on paper at a high percentage but what they pay is a fraction of that and the dwindling middle and working classes are nickel and dimed or rather "euroed" to death. Marcon was an investment banker. People forget that. He is accused by many to support regulations and changes that rewards them and other rich folks. 

Europe as a whole has moved far right than where it was 40 years ago. Also, the economies of member states are in the worst state ever since joining the union (Italy, Greece, Spain). New members from former Soviet republics remain the 'western 3rd world' in terms of their respective economies. It's why England has seen a flood of eastern europeans over the last several years and for the first time in London there are Polish neighborhoods where you are lucky if you hear a word in English. (Not saying its a bad thing, just stating facts). 

When they've sucked the bank accounts of the peasants dry, where will they get their power then? Money has only a notional value, when only 6 blokes possess it all.

I have a bucket of Macadamia nuts that I'm willing to trade, value = 1 live chicken. No cut for Goldman Sachs.