New Years Resolution

Mekong

New Yers Resolutions, I will Exercise more, I Will Drink Less I will stop Smoking, why do people make false promises to themselves which no chance of keeping? 

Why presure oneself just because it is New Year? One has another 364 days of the year to make a lifestyle change. 

Look at me, self confessed heavy smoker, smoking for about 40 years now at th last count on over 2 packs per day, you won’t hear me say “I will stop smoking for New Year” 

Why?

I chose to give up 1 Month ago that’s why, It was a Saturday Morning, no stress from work and an easy date to remember 1 December, I have been threatening to stop just just said “Kong Stop ya fool”  no time like the present.

So as people are waking up tomorrow and struggling with their resolutions, especially smoking, I can have a wee smile to myself and think, “I know th hell you ar going through, been there” stick in there those who are trying it does get easier if I can do it so can anyone. 

My NY Resolution 2019 is to continue what I refrained form in 2018, no pressure since I am already not doing it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good man, stick with it. A month in you've cracked it. Especially if it was a true dead stop. Give in to some of the other urges, at least for a while. For me it was Jam sarnies and Wrigleys gum. A few weeks of that and I was essentially clean. A bit like recovering alcoholics you'll never be completely free, but free enough. I'm about 13 years in now, still get the odd times when, damn I could just go a smoke, then of course I realise I'm a non so its just not an issue.

Life will be interesting the next few months, lots of things that will suddenly smack you in the face.

RM Nicolette start d off on 10 pieces of 4mg per day and now down to 3-4 pieces per day will switch to the 2mg pieces next year / few hours time. Vapong was out of th question, totally banned in Vietnam not a token ban like Thailand and where I live local pharmacies have Parcetamol and Tiffy not much else,  it was like planning an assault on the North Face of the Eiger when I bulk purchased Nicorette in various strengths when I was last in Bangkok.

Flash, if I was in the UK or even Thailand for that matter maybe I would notice the money but not her  in Vietnam, I was only paying $1.25 per pack for Marlboro Light’s so 2 cartons per week was less than 30 minutes earnings, maybe if they were $12.5 per pack instead of $1.25 I may have given up sooner but I had no fiscal incentive to do so.

Strangely being around smokers does not seem to bother me, like half the time at work we side to have brainstorming sessions whilst smoking, we still have them but I just don’t smoke. People say “But M, most of your ideas on the back of a fag packet” which is true, I tell them we need more soggy beer mats then, don’t knock fag packet and beer mat engineering, where some of the greatest resolutions to problems have been recorded on such.

The real reason was health, I was suff ring from Peripheral Artery Disease, which is a blockage of the Arterie(s) in the Leg(s) it cuts off the blood supply to the muscle and as such I was getting severe cramps first in my calf then thigh, so bad I could hardly work mor than 50 Meter without needing a rest, I felt like an old man. 

Over the past year I have had Operations on both legs, rather like a heart bypass, balloons into ththe arteries and stents inserted. It wasn’t cheap and medical insurance would not pay since it was a pre existing condition, it was a choice of pay up and walk again or don’t pay and be a cripple, I didn’t want the later. That is the fiscal reason.

Now I am walking 5KM per day, iPhone health tracker tells me so, where as before I used to leave my desk and go for a tab now I leave my desk and have a brisk 10 minutes walk instead, still breaks the monotony / gets me away from the idiots I work with for a few minutes haha.

Determined to have knocked it on the head, only 1 month yet but Mighty Oaks from Little Acorns Grow, this is the fist and hopefully only time I have tried to pack in.

5 hours ago, radioman said:

Good man, stick with it. A month in you've cracked it. Especially if it was a true dead stop. Give in to some of the other urges, at least for a while. For me it was Jam sarnies and Wrigleys gum. A few weeks of that and I was essentially clean. A bit like recovering alcoholics you'll never be completely free, but free enough. I'm about 13 years in now, still get the odd times when, damn I could just go a smoke, then of course I realise I'm a non so its just not an issue.

Life will be interesting the next few months, lots of things that will suddenly smack you in the face.

Marmite onToast 

And Vimto can’t miss Vimto out , remember I am a Salford Scally, I used to live from Vimto and Marmite, posh food when I was a lad, Salford Diet haha 

Good on yer Kong, stick to it, I say this not because I have a view on smoking, but because I reckon the world is a better place with you in it.

I still like the idea of smoking but I don't, I'd love to, if I had a life guarantee. But I can't say I get the urge anymore.

Don’t worry Coss I will still be around for many years yet giving my take on life,  can’t get rid of me that easy. If people don’t see my opinion what do I care, I need people to argue with hehe says the grumpy ex smoker, what has been my excuse the previous 15 years haha . Obnoxious twat smoking or not, the board needs an asshole!

Good on you, giving up the fags is quite a stressful experience. Have had on on-off then on again and now off for at least five years, think I'm off them for good now. Have scaled back the beers to almost nothing and bought a mountain bike for exercise as the treadmill didn't do my knees any favours. Having three heart stents done recently probably gave me the motivation to make a fairly dramatic lifestyle change so guess I'll be around a bit longer to stick my head in on occasion.

Have a happy and healthy New Year

Cheers

VK