Happy New Year !

Coss

I remember the one at the village a few years ago, wherein we all turned up to the temple and were seated arse to elbow on mats, with blessing string to conduit the goodness, tying us all together and then we were blessed with chants from the monks until what seemed like dawn.

Not a particularly religious experience, for me, but I was left with a strong feeling of community and an impression of the innate goodness of all the happy buddhists in my village.

the below photo is from somewhere else and is way more flash, as they have chairs,  than the gathering at my village, but I post it so as to demonstrate what I'm on about

NY.png.71614c8f1da8aff3688afb63f8910777.png

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2019 at 6:25 AM, Coss said:

Not a particularly religious experience, for me, but I was left with a strong feeling of community and an impression of the innate goodness of all the happy buddhists in my village. 

The same experience for me.  My brother is vehemently against all religion, but you have to experience this to understand it.  And you describe a joyous occasion.  

My wedding was similar.  I got tied up with strings with my wife, I mind being quite bemused at the time.  However it turned out to be such a weird and wonderful experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life.  I've now been with my wife for fifteen years.  

I don't even particularly think that Buddhism is really that religious; it's more a way of life.  

I do condemn the animistic aspects, and prayers for special consideration.  Let's face it, it's not unique to Buddhism.  

I try to explain this to my brother, and it really riles him up when I explain that his anti-religion is in fact a kind of species of religion in and of itself.