Smog forces all Bangkok schools to close

Flashermac

So the large industrial drones they have pictured appear able to carry about 1kg of liquid. To make an impact on the problem I would expect to see a plague of these things covering the entire city.

Seems that doing something, no matter how ridiculous is preferred to, taking professional consultation and formulating a plan that, a works, b, is practical and c, restores confidence. I guess that's not going to happen so instead they take the elephant hunting with a pea shooter approach.

There is talk about going to the even number / odd number licence plate bit to reduce traffic each day. I remember when the city tried that back in the 1980s. It didn't work then - and won't even more so now, since many families have more than one car. They just drove whichever car had the right last digit for that day.

3 hours ago, Flashermac said:

There is talk about going to the even number / odd number licence plate bit to reduce traffic each day. I remember when the city tried that back in the 1980s. It didn't work then - and won't even more so now, since many families have more than one car. They just drove whichever car had the right last digit for that day.

Sorted, number 3 on one and number 8 on the other 😊

Like a lot of people we probably only use one car on any given day depending on whats happening. Such an idea definitely fits in the FAU category.

The PMI2.5 bandwagon it was only as recent as 2006 that WHO published “safe” figures and now every man and his dog is suddenly an expert on the subject.

Bangkok isn’t nicknamed “The Big Mango” without reason, as recently as the late 90’s one could travel into the city from the east and see a mango colored dome hanging over th city as the sun was setting in the west. But guess what back then most people did not know about PMI2.5 and AQI, were not saying OhMy God AQI is over 120, need to wear a face mask or we are all going to die, we just said “it’s a bit hazy tonight”. 

Anothr thing which is stirring panic and mass hysteria is people considering a “snapshot” reading rather than weekly / monthly / annual averages which is how the data should be interpreted. In my field of work we are a major contributor tp PMI2.5 emissions and as such have CEMS (Continuous Emmissions Monitoring System, we don’t get fined for exceeding limits for a few minutes but on annual average of emissions.

iMHO it was a lot worse 20-25 years ago but since data was not being kept back then no way to make a comparison. I am not coughing my guts up or struggling for breath, in fact the Air Quality Index is lower now I am home in Bangkok for a few days than it has been where I work / live in Vietnam, and I suppose packing in smoking after 40 years also helps a little.