Thailand's king made an unexpected call for "security" and "happiness"

Coss

Thailand's king made an unexpected call for "security" and "happiness" on the eve of the first election since a 2014 army coup, but made no mention of a poll critics say has been engineered to keep the military in power.  

King Maha Vajiralongkorn did not refer to any of the sides in Sunday's election.

However, his message less than 12 hours before voting booths were to open was a startling departure from the approach of his late father, who in his latter years kept a distance between the monarchy and politics.  

"The king is concerned about the country's security and the feelings and happiness of the people, so the king wants to send his moral support and a reminder for all to use it to bring about unity, security of the country and happiness of the people," said a palace statement late on Saturday...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/election-observers-face-limitations-thai-poll-104011107.html

Yes, my uninformed take on these elections is that Thaksin has/had four or more parties, hoping to coalesce them once voting is over, but some were disallowed and Prayuth has got the systems 'adjusted' in his favour.

Are there any non partisan, amongst us, who could offer an opinion on whether or not Thai life, is better under Prayuth or Thaksin ?

On the face of it, the call for security and happiness sounds right and proper.  But you can't legislate happiness.  You *can* ramp up security.  Thankfully the Thai people are fairly vocal about their rights.  Let's just hope security doesn't mean what we all think it means.  Perhaps I'm optimistic, but  I respectfully expect the Thai King to exert a calming influence and follow his father's example of staying out of politics, after all it's beneath his dignity.