Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Coss

HEALTH insurance has been made mandatory for foreigners aged 50 years and above seeking long-term stay in Thailand.  

The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment.    

This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment.    

“The Cabinet has already approved the new rule,” Health Service Support Department director-general Nattawuth Prasert-Siripong revealed yesterday. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

via Thai Visa

Coss

Not a dig at you   ...   Don't Shoot the Messenger

What the article is referring to is Non-Immigrant (O-A) Visa aka the Retirement Visa but not the Non-Immigrant (O) aka the Marriage Visa.

I was expecting this to come up at some point since the Non-Immigrant (O-X) Visa aka the 10 Year Visa already has this requirement but O-A is a little bit more laxed since overseas policies are allowed whereas O-X has to be with Thai insurance Company

• Like 1

Clarification - the sign of a useful mind, boy I'm glad I didn't go down the Thailand visa route, when I went to Laos. 

The Thai system and  vacillations annoys me.

The Laos system is not better, not at all, in fact only recently have furriners been allowed to get a 'marriage' visa which is essentially the same cost as, but extra, as the 1 year working visa and covers most of the same ground application wise. So unless one were to shell out $30 every month for a tourist visa, you'd have to get someone to lie about you working for them (a business) and do it yearly for $5~6~700. But at least it's only matter of paying someone.

Come on KS 

You have been in Thailand Long enough now to realise we have to pre empt any decision, they introduce new laws and ask, “Well why didn’t you think about it” 

They ask “Johnny Foreigner” to jump through hoops and once done, do it again but backwards and naked.

i got the O-X visa  aka the 10 Year and I tell you why, I had Baht in  bank account I could not reinvest in property and also not repatriate. Divorce split the assets sit on Baht previously brought into Thailand for Property Purchase, not recognized as offshore currency when I wanted to move on.

i have, or should I say my employer has a very good health care plan for me, ,the coverage as In Patient and Out Patient far exceeds the requirements but not accepted since “Not on the List” shout and scream, kick up a fuss claim blue murder, would get me nowhere, head down, gob shut and cough up 40,000 Baht.

The hoops are growing smaller in Diameter, being hung higher up, I am not getting much younger but still expected to jump through them, c’est la vive as the strange Canadians might say.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

> I expect the designated insurance companies will increase their rates for farang

Interesting you say this. My wife's health insurance was due for renewal this week. Price had gone up 26%! over last year.
Contacted the company (Aetna) to ask why the huge increase. First reaction from the sales guy was to immediately offer me a 10% discount, which of course made me even more suspicious. When pressed for an answer he quoted some company BS about health care inflation, which was 8.8% this year.
He had no answer when I asked what accounted for the other 17% of the increase.

I'll be shopping around for a new insurance company, although I expect that they are all the same. Crooks and one and all :(

Sanuk!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1