Nation - is set to shutter its printed editions

Coss

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2019/05/15/the-nation-to-ditch-paper-edition-source/

A major English-language newspaper is set to shutter its printed editions, a source said Wednesday.  

According to a source inside The Nation, paper issues of the English-language daily will be discontinued in favor of a solely online platform.

The last edition is expected to run on June 28. A formal announcement is expected “soon”, the source said.  The Nation’s English language daily was founded on July 1, 1971, or 48 years ago.  

In recent years, the paper has been plagued by financial losses. Nation Multimedia Group, which owns The Nation, lost 1.7 billion baht in 2017 alone. Just last week, the group pulled its TV channel, Spring 26, from free-to-view digital TV.  

In 2015, a co-founder of the Nation Multimedia Group, Suttichai Yoon, resigned as chief editor and chairman. In 2018, a news mogul behind ultraconservative outlet T News acquired a majority of shares in the Nation group.  

The Nation Multimedia Group consists of two digital TV stations, two Thai papers, a publishing house, and an English paper...

😮

Print journalism is on its last legs. In the 1980s I made extra money to supplement my income by freelance writing for The Post, The Nation, The World, Asia Magazine etc. Now only the Post and Nation are still around, and they no longer pay freelancers. They want you to be happy with a byline. Well, a byline won't buy you a damned thing, plus I'd stopped writing under my real name anyway.  People just aren't reading, except on the internet, and I wonder if the Post will soon follow suit.

You probably weren't around in the days when everything you bought in Thai markets and from street vendors came in paper bags made from recycled newspapers and magazines. If it wasn't that, it was wrapped in banana leaves. Then the plastic bag monster arrived and took over to the extent that it's ruining the country and oceans.

I would not bother buying the Nation/Post anywhere, the hotel does them in the morning. Since they closed Asia Books along Sukhumvit I would not even know where to go buying them. The entertaining factor usually is reading about the latest upper class scandal like the man from Ital Thai sitting in front of the police after they got him in the forest shooting panthers. Should I read the Thai Rath in future?

Cannot read 1 word in Thai but the Thai Rath tells you the important things using photos. Showing part 1 and 2 and three after Khun Lek butchered his wife Wi into 3 pieces with a big knife. All neighbours pointing with a finger at Wi dead  on the floor. Very informative.

I am other than President Donald a fanatic reader of printed newspapers, fake news biased version. I don´t read the Bild as I would not read the Sun. Usually in the morning I do a long walk to the pharmacy at Sukhumvit near Soi 4 because they sell the German Frankfurter Allgemeine after they printed it from an online source. All this followed by a coffee on the Landmark Terrace. One of the great moments in life. ( Warning : this paper not recommended for packing mangos from Tops market )

15 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

I would not bother buying the Nation/Post anywhere, the hotel does them in the morning. Since they closed Asia Books along Sukhumvit I would not even know where to go buying them. The entertaining factor usually is reading about the latest upper class scandal like the man from Ital Thai sitting in front of the police after they got him in the forest shooting panthers. Should I read the Thai Rath in future?

When did Asia Books close? I visited the store last Dec.