Strife in Hong Kong

Coss

2 hours ago, radioman said:

Large numbers of those now protesting know nothing of life under colonial rule. I can only imagine it is the grasp of embers or some perceived idea of how it was.

How was life for the average Chinese/HKer under Colonial rule? Serious question. I have no idea. I assume rough in the beginning of that 99 year rule and then better as time went on. 

30 minutes ago, chocolat steve said:

How was life for the average Chinese/HKer under Colonial rule? Serious question. I have no idea. I assume rough in the beginning of that 99 year rule and then better as time went on. 

Hong Kong under the UK was definitely better then what they had in mainland China. I was in mainland China working in the late 70's and it was extremely primitive. Terrible roads, few western style hotels but the Chinese people had food, shelter and clothing, even minimum but China was trying.

Hong Kong was clean and well organized. Day and night at that time between the two China's.
The UK gave Hong Kong a much needed boost and it took several decades for China to catch up.

The average Chinese living out in the country still has a rugged existence but they can get by.

• Like 1

I first went to China in the mid 80's. At that time it was still pretty much as Cav mentioned about in the 70's. HK was indeed vastly different but I don't think there has ever been any "democracy" there.

I think it's true that once all you needed to do in Hong Kong was keep quiet, work super hard, keep going and success, and money, was likely assured, or at least possible. Today that's not quite the same, The mainland is much more competitive today and so many opportunities have either already been exploited or are no longer viable. Yes, there are new industries but they are far less people driven than for previous generations. As much as anything I think the Hong Kong younger generation feel the Chinese controlled government is not helping them achieve the success their fathers and grandfathers saw under colonial rule.

I visited HK a few times as well, late 90s right before the mainland took over and after. Its a given they were much better off under Colonial rule. I wasn't being clear perhaps but they have a very strong democratic sense now. Was this there under colonial rule. Just how involved was the UK internally is what I am trying to ascertain. Judging solely by the reaction of the HKers to the mainland and a lack thereof to UK rule, I assume the UK had a faily lassez faire attitude or is that an overstatement?

HONG KONG, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced the withdrawal of a controversial extradition bill that has plunged the city into its worst political crisis in decades, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.  Lam made the announcement in an internal meeting with pro- establishment lawmakers and Hong Kong delegates of China's National People's Congress. She is expected to make a public announcement later on Wednesday.  A senior government source also confirmed the impending annoucement to Reuters of the withdrawal.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/hong-kong-leader-carrie-lam-announces-withdrawal-of-extradition-bill-source/ar-AAGN9Uq?li=BBqdg4K