Strife in Hong Kong

Coss

Election results pretty staggering - massive turnout, absolutely unprecedented support for the anti-Beijing camp, couldn't have gone better for them - and that's well after I would have thought the violence and disruption of the protests would have turned off HK voters, who I'd expect to be fine with some popular crowds in Victoria Park, but not molotov wielding street ninjas closing down campuses and Central...  Lucky for China they'd already pretty much neutered the entire electoral process, so that even a best-case-scenario for the opposition has limited impact in any practical sense... Wonder where this goes now, of course, as that doesn't get any clearer... does China back off and let the protests wear themselves out with time, and just continue to wait out the latter half of the 50 years of Basic Law?  Or do they come in hard and press the dreaded Do-Over button, give up on the attempt to milk the financial benefits of Hong Kong for another couple of decades, and turn out the financial lights on the place by real intervention in policing, judiciary, and so on?  We will see...

Wonder to what degree the Wanchai nightlife has been squashed as a result... Would love to go and spend a week investigating the remnants!

YimSiam

They will do as always I guess, slowly, covertly, with no hint of direct intervention, lots of deniability. Step by step the protesters will be identified, one by one and disappeared or similar, maybe families denied urgent medical, years waiting for social services for family, all the sort of stuff China is good at. The long game is just a day in that sense. 200 years from now no one will remember.

Wanchai has been dead since long before I ever started going there I think. A few clubs, anyone remember Fenwicks? Long gone now of course along with many others. Some hang out joints where Filpina maids collect on their off looking to score some different meat, and a paycheck, a few serious rip off clip joints that deliver zero when appearing to offer the world, and of course it's quite a trek all over the shop, from Wanchai to LKF then back across the water to TST. You spend more time on the MRT than you do sizing up the talent, of which there is less and less.

Of course its all on line these days from Tinder to Date In Asia, just nod at a few and you'll soon have a queue forming at your hotel reception, all ready to either go to dinner, hit a few bars or just gonzo if the fee is upfront and clear. I don;t think HK ever had anything quite like Pattaya and BKK were in the day. Maybe a few more places to hang and find a warm Filipina for the night, I think it's still doable, but in a miliennial sort of a way. A trip to Angeles might be more like HK used to be but even that seems jaded these days.

Maybe it's just me.

I heard the Hong Kong Ambassador to the UK, being talked to on "Hard Talk". The host gave him a real good dressing down. But if I am objective about the performance, I have to give the Ambassador credit, for holding up his end.

But in the end, it's like what I say about Lao Politics, compared to Western Politics.

The same kinds of people, doing the same kinds of things and saying the same obfuscated bullshit lies, for the same (usually) self interested and corrupt motives.

I really do think, we should take the control of our societies, away from the politicians. Or if we have to have them, perhaps a democracy should have more 51% majority referendums, and a leader could be voted out at any time in the term, with a 60% majority vote in the senate/parliament/pub/PlaySkool.

On the lack of nightlife in Hong Kong, that you've been speaking of:

Wot about Pattaya? via Thai Visa - Pattaya is Dead

Which Pattaya are they talking about? The nightlife goes on as usual. But Pattaya is a large city these days, and the nightlife is only a very small part of it. Outside of the nightlife areas, Pattaya late in the evening has always been "dead".

Meanwhile, back on the topic ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-50596011/hong-kong-protesters-celebrate-thanksgiving

I'm sure that one of Emperor for Life Xi's biggest fears is that the evil notion of human rights and democracy may infect other parts of the PRC and destroy the easy life that the Communist Party poohahs have so long enjoyed.  :yikes:

12 hours ago, Flashermac said:

Which Pattaya are they talking about? The nightlife goes on as usual. But Pattaya is a large city these days, and the nightlife is only a very small part of it. Outside of the nightlife areas, Pattaya late in the evening has always been "dead".

Meanwhile, back on the topic ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-50596011/hong-kong-protesters-celebrate-thanksgiving

I'm sure that one of Emperor for Life Xi's biggest fears is that the evil notion of human rights and democracy may infect other parts of the PRC and destroy the easy life that the Communist Party poohahs have so long enjoyed.  :yikes:

And it shall ever be so, read same same for everyone with a bit of power, Royals, Yanks, NZ'ers and so on...