People In Asia Are Sick Of Western ‘Begpackers’ Asking Locals To Fund Their Travels For Them

Flashermac

Travel is truly one of the best things that a person can do – it broadens the mind, fosters empathy with people of all races and cultures and creates memories that last a lifetime. However, travel is a luxury and a privilege that only a fraction of the world's population can afford.

So when Western people, with all the privileges we hold, are found 'begpacking' on the streets of developing countries, it can leave a sour taste. Tourism is a vital source of income in many countries; we should travel in such a way that maximizes the benefits for local people and businesses. Sponging off the kindness of strangers to further our own selfish travel goals is just not on! If you can't afford to travel, stay at home until you earn enough money to do it ethically.

Authorities in some countries have had enough, and now immigration officers on the Indonesian island of Bali have started sending these 'begpackers' to their embassies to get themselves sorted out. "We have seen many cases of problematic tourists, lately they are either Australian, British or Russian," one official said. "We tend to report these cases to the relevant embassies so that they can oversee their citizens who are on holiday."

[29 pictures]

https://www.boredpanda.com/begpackers-tourists-travel-begging-locals-money/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

'Never seen anything like this': Cops bust alleged Chinese begging scam

Chinese beggars accused of scamming generous Melburnians and sending the proceeds back home have been busted in a major police sting.

Police have arrested six people over the racket, in which Chinese nationals on tourist visas are alleged to have posed as rough sleepers with shabby clothes and begging bowls in the CBD.

Alleged professional beggars have been nabbed in Melbourne for duping people out of their cash and sending it to China.

Alleged professional beggars have been nabbed in Melbourne for duping people out of their cash and sending it to China.

Another man, who police believe may have been acting independently, has also been arrested.

Three women aged 65, two other women aged 67 and 71, and two men aged 68 and 72 were arrested, police said on Friday afternoon. All seven were Chinese nationals.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/never-seen-anything-like-this-cops-bust-alleged-chinese-begging-scam-20190705-p524d9.html

Just enforce the law.  Arrest, blacklist and deport them.  If cost of deporting them is a problem, I'd definitely donate to the cause. 

Also, whilst you may deplore the sale of 'free' hugs - no one of any intelligence would believe that for a second - it's prostitution.  The blindfold is so they can't  be identified in the news. 

Grifters gonna grift.

The Scorpion and the Fox

• A fox and a scorpion both need to cross a river.
  • The scorpion asks the fox for a ride on his back as it cannot swim.
  • The fox refuses saying “no you’ll sting me”.
  • The scorpion replies that he wouldn’t, as it would kill the both of them.
  • The fox agrees and allows the scorpion to ride on his back.
  • Half way across the river the scorpion stings the fox.
  • As the poison takes effect on the fox and he starts to sink, it asks the scorpion, “Why?”
  • “Why did you sting me, now we are both going to die?”
  • The scorpion replies, “I couldn’t help myself, it’s in my nature”.

The Hunter of the Pamirs: A Novel of Adventure in Soviet Central Asia by Georgi Tushkan.