‘Weatherproof’ Bangkok skywalk defeated by … weather

Coss

Claims that the longest elevated walkway in the capital would protect commuters from both rain and sun were fully discredited this week when it flooded during heavy rainfall.  

Images of people clinging to the skywalk’s railings and tip-toeing along its elevated edge to avoid the flooded path were spreading online today after being shared online following Tuesday night’s deluge.  

“Bangkok, the city with the perfect life,” Phudsachar Phongsay wrote sarcastically, quoting a blithe City Hall slogan for the capital.    

In the 16-second clip, which has been shared more than 13,000 times, commuters are seen slowly inching along the edge as they desperately try to avoid the mucky torrent below, as the skywalk had turned into a water-flow.

Skywalk.jpg

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/weatherproof-bangkok-skywalk-defeated-by-weather/

• Haha 1

Last year I walked peacefully out of a massage shop somewhere in the Pratunam area when it all of a sudden  started raining like stupid. Immediately I ran into the  market and planned to walk towards the bridge within the building. Normally a brilliant idea but unfortunately the interior of the market was flooded not long after I went inside. Partially the water has been 1 foot deep. I bought a pair of flipflops from the next available vendor and continued walking through a mixture of water,mud, dead small animals and general debris. To fight pest and cholera I later cleaned my feet in a restroom of Gaysorn shopping mall. So the excursion ended under most civilised circumstances.

Walking through lakes when it rains sounds like no no big surprise in Khrungthep.

13 hours ago, Mekong said:

At least it kept the sun off. (Glass half full sort of guy) 

But what about this fad for covering buildings with glass panels?

Surely, they wot plan things, in LOS could organise it, so that when the sun shines, the rays are collected and reflected into the afore - thought 'shaded' places, to fry people as they walk?