Which Thai bank is the most online friendly to foreigners?

dean

Long time since I’ve posted anything here.  I’m not good with  computer change and when the Thai 360 board was updated, I was going to have to relearn how to use it easily navigate it.  I decided in stead just to visit without posting.  Nothing much is up.  My son is almost 12 and in the sixth grade, which means I have just under 7 years before I move back to my house in Chiangmai.  In the meantime, I did rent my house last year.   Unfortunately, it was to a teacher who moved here from Japan for the job but didn’t get along with the international school’s owners, and left after 7 months.  I’ve rented it again since June 1 and have used my wife’s bank account for the rent deposits.  However, she can’t access her account online and I need a bank account where I can at least transfer money to the lady that takes care of the house to pay for any repairs.  Preferably, I’d like to transfer some of the money to my U.S. bank account, at least by wire transfer, or to my PayPal account.  I’ll be back in Thailand in December to set this up (along with talking with the renter to see what improvements he wants to make to house and landscape), so I’d like to open bank account then.  Anyone have any recommendations on which Thai bank would best suit my needs?  I’m only going to be in Thailand for 6-7 days, so I’ll probably only be in Bangkok for 1 night each way in the middle of rye week, if anyone wants to get together for a drink.

It may be different today but my experience of Thai banking is that whilst it is becoming more internet friendly, in some ways, it is not particularly international friendly.

I bank with Bangkok Bank here. When I wanted to open a new account about 2 years ago all the banks I tried locally wanted paperwork stamped by my embassy to confirm my Thailand address. With that in hand the Bangkok Bank agreed they could help but I needed to go to their head office in Silom to open the account. They have a 'foreigner' section there and the process was straightforward. They issued the usual savings type account with an ATM/Debit card. I was also able to set up access on my mobile using their downloaded application.

I find the application counter intuitive in several ways but after writing down the steps needed for the few things I do it soon became simple enough. I can do pretty much all my in-country banking through the application but a word of caution should you choose such a route is to set the transfer and withdrawal limits as high as you can accept. Changing them later requires visits to a BBL branch and filling out copious forms along with copies of passport/visa etc. Not easy to do when you are out of the country for an extended period and the the telephone banking person I spoke to simply advised "Sorry sir, we do not have a solution for your problem".

I have found no facility which allows me to do international transfers of money out of Thailand without going to a major branch and filling out all the paperwork. I can however use my debit card to withdraw cash pretty much anywhere on the planet up to the maximum daily limit as set for the card. I can of course transfer money in from pretty much anywhere.

Four years ago in Pattaya, Bangkok Bank  wanted proof of a long term visa but wasn't that concerned about address.  It seemed you had to go to one office only to open the account, the one almost opposite Soi 6.  I think you can change the transfer limit online, at least within certain bounds.  I tried the application and, while I forget the exact reason, decided to stick with their web site.

Once upon a time Kasikorn Bank, was quite receptive to opening an account on a tourist visa.  I have seen reports that may still be true.